Renting A Commercial Kitchen

Business By smr91481 Updated 30 Mar 2012 , 5:22am by jason_kraft

smr91481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smr91481 Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 11:49pm
post #1 of 4

I'm not having any luck with google today...

I tried searching for any updates on the Louisiana cottage food law, and there is nothing new since the first time I googled it a couple of months ago. All that I get is a petition that is closed and a facebook page for the Louisiana's Bakers Bill that isn't active anymore.

Since I couldn't find any info there I tried searching for commercial kitchen space for rent in our area, but I'm not coming up with anything. I searched "kitchen space for rent baton rouge" and a few other similar phrasings and nothing.

So, finally I'll get around to my question. How did you people who have rented or are renting commercial kitchen space by the hour arrange it? Did you find it online? Or did you go around asking small businesses with kitchens if they were interested?

3 replies
CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 4:20am
post #2 of 4

Google "catering kitchen" or ask some local catering companies what kitchens they use. I know some churches will rent their kitchens out or ask a local bakery that maybe does breads but NOT cakes or pastries.

I know some bakeries that will rent their kitchens out too but here (in Southern California) some are asking $40 an hour. Could you imagine???? Good luck!

smr91481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smr91481 Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 5:18am
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the catering company tip. Are church kitchens usually inspected and approved by the health department? Or would that be the same as cooking out of our own kitchen?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 5:22am
post #4 of 4

You can also google your city name plus "commercial kitchen rental" or "kitchen incubator" (use the quotes). If you still can't find anything your local health dept may know of kitchens that are renting out space in your area.

If you operate out of someone else's kitchen (church kitchen, rental kitchen, coffee shop, etc.) you would typically need to be pass inspection separately, since the health inspector will need to verify both the kitchen facilities and your own baking processes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%