Fondant In The Mixer?

Baking By syarber Updated 2 Apr 2012 , 6:39am by ReneeFLL

syarber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
syarber Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 3

Ok i have seen a couple posts about people using mixers for fondant. Do you mix your batch from start to finish or just using it when you hit the kneeding point? When I learned my instructor told us that you couldn't mix it with a mixer. So now I'm confused. Can some one please help clarify this for me.

2 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 2:07am
post #2 of 3

I use my KA to mix about 1/2 - 2/3 of the PS into the melted marshmallows. Then I finish the kneading by hand. I use lots of crisco on the bowl, the dough hook and any other tools I use. I wouldn't use the machine once the fondant starts to cool off and stiffen, but as long as its still about the same texture and elasticity as bread dough it should be ok. I did use the KA once to marble food color into a batch of fondant, but I really didn't like the sound the machine was making so I finished by hand and haven't done that again. HTH

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 2 Apr 2012 , 6:39am
post #3 of 3

I use my 6 qt KA mixer to make mmf from start to finish. I don't use any crisco or any other kind of grease when making fondant. That is about the only grease free item in my cakes.
I also have a 4.5 qt KA mixer and I don't think that it would be powerful enough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%