First Dummy Cake, And Need A Little Help With The Petals..

Decorating By eggsnbakin Updated 29 Mar 2012 , 5:53pm by jamawoops

eggsnbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eggsnbakin Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 5

My sister is getting married next Saturday, and I'm doing her cake. She decided on this cake:

http://pinterest.com/pin/167336942374393049/

The top tier is going to be a 6", real cake for them to cut. The bottom cake is a dummy. We're going with a yellow gradient on the petals because her colors are yellow & gray.

I've already covered the dummy cake (bottom tier) with white wilton fondant. But, I'm just wondering a couple things about the petals. What kind of cut out would you use? The petals are fairly large in this picture, and I know that's what she wants. They almost look tear drop shaped to me. My rose cutters are too small.

Next, how would you glue them on. I have a batch of royal made up, but would tylose glue be better?

Thanks!

4 replies
jamawoops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamawoops Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 5

They look like a round cut out to me, with the edges ruffled. The top layer looks like one edge of the circle was cut off to make it flat all the way across the top. You can get a set of nesting round cutters and practice with them to see which size looks best on your cake.

I would use gum glue adhesive to hold them on, but you could use the RI, piping gel, or even a little bit of vanilla extract or water.

To make the gum glue adhesive take a small piece of gum paste and dissolve it in a small amount of water. Once it's dissolved, let it sit a bit before using. Many people use this to make their flowers.

Good luck with your sister's wedding cake and post pics when you're done! icon_smile.gif

jamawoops Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 5

I just noticed your profile cake. You'd make the petals pretty much the same way as you made for the layers of your flower on your sister's bridal shower cake. Which makes me wonder if I misunderstood you and you were talking about the flowers on the top?? If so, I don't know which cutters were used, but I'd use the RI or melted chocolate to hold those on. Sorry!

eggsnbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eggsnbakin Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamawoops

I just noticed your profile cake. You'd make the petals pretty much the same way as you made for the layers of your flower on your sister's bridal shower cake. Which makes me wonder if I misunderstood you and you were talking about the flowers on the top?? If so, I don't know which cutters were used, but I'd use the RI or melted chocolate to hold those on. Sorry!

Nope, you were right. Now that you mention they look round, it makes perfect sense to me. For some reason, I thought they would be tear drop shaped. I don't know why. Now it seems really easy to me.

The guests are eating cupcakes, and I'll be making the flowers for those this weekend, along with a few for the cake.

Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

jamawoops Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 5

No prob! Good luck!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%