Opinions On Mixers?

Business By Mae_mom Updated 1 Apr 2012 , 12:44am by Mae_mom

Mae_mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mae_mom Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 8

I currently have a little KA Classic but I'm looking to get a second mixer, a more powerful one. Fondant work is killing my hands (the dying of the fondant mostly) and I recently discovered that I can do this with a stand mixer, but only one more powerful than mine.

I, of course, immediately thought of a bigger KA before thinking there must be other brands out there that are just as great or perhaps even more so.

So... I wanted to get opinions. What's you're favorite mixer and why/what benefits?

Thanks so much!!!

7 replies
KalisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KalisCakes Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 8

When I first started, I used my KA so much I actually burned out the motor. So as I was fretting about the thought of having to spend another $500 on a mixer that I would burn out in another year, I had the bright idea to check on craigslist for a commercial mixer, and there I found the mixer I use in my shop today: A blakeslee 60qt mixer. It came wit both te 60qt and 20 qt bowls, and a dough hook, which I used even for cake batter until I was able to purchase a paddle for it. I love my blakeslee, and I was able to negotiate it for $300. So... check craigslist icon_smile.gif

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 8

I have a 5qt KA Artisan and I regularly burn out the top 4 speeds when it overheats making a full bowl of american buttercream. I got a 7qt Cuisinart and while it has the muscle to do the work, I don't like how the beater works in the bowl (it doesn't go as throughly as the KA and I haven't figured out how to make it a tighter fit), so i'm not totally happy with that either. I want the action of the KA in a large countertop mixer but with the mechanicals of KA 20 years ago. I regularly check Craigslist for old KAs.

idreamincupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idreamincupcakes Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 8

I have a 6qt KA, and love it. If you are close to a meijer, they had the a good sized cuisinart mixer for $179.99. I have heard people loves those too.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 8

I did a video comparing the KA 6qt and the Cuisinart 7qt. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAZX_C6Y3w&list=UUDru9n0gVtJlapF93R1npSw&index=9&feature=plcp

I kill my mixers pretty regulary, but I use them all the time, so they get abused. I personally prefer the KA design to the cuisinart. they also have a new KA 7qt that I have my eye on.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 8

Mae - depending upon where you live in Indiana - you could drive to the Kitchen Aid outlet and pick up a refurbished one for a great price. It is located in Greenville, Ohio. If you have AAA, you can get an additional discount.

Mae_mom Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 1:12am
post #7 of 8

Thank you thank you thank you for all of your suggestions!! Most helpful!! I actually only live about 30 minutes from the Kitchen Aid store in Greenville and have been there a few times! I'd actually forgotten they have the discounted models!! Thank you for the reminder! icon_wink.gif

Thanks again, everyone!! I do love hearing all of your thoughts on the various models/brands!!

Mae_mom Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 12:44am
post #8 of 8

Well, I did some shopping and as torn as I am between the KA and the Cuisinart, My husband got me a bigger KA via the Elder Beerman website (the professional 600... 575 watts); with a coupon and free shipping he got it for $250. Not too shabby in my book. icon_smile.gif

Thank you all so very much for your help!!! Much MUCH appreciated!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%