Inexpensive Cake Boards/covering.

Decorating By trishalynn0708 Updated 31 Mar 2012 , 7:45pm by Texas_Rose

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 16

I was wondering what some inexpensive thing's people use for their cake boards and to cover their boards... I have been using card board, but especially for round cakes it's hard to get a perfect circle and always have pieces of the cardboard sticking out.. I have been using aluminum foil to cover my board but would love to venture out and use other things.. But inexpensive!!

Thanks for any ideas!

15 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 16

I use foamboard covered with fondant. The foamboards come from Walmart for $2.99 each and you can cut several boards from one foamboard (use a box cutter with a sharp new blade). I use leftover fondant (just freeze it until I need it) for the boards. I glue a ribbon around the edge...the ribbon costs about $3 a spool but you can do a bunch of boards with just one spool. I usually keep it in black and white and only buy other colors if I really need them.

trishalynn0708 Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

I use foamboard covered with fondant. The foamboards come from Walmart for $2.99 each and you can cut several boards from one foamboard (use a box cutter with a sharp new blade). I use leftover fondant (just freeze it until I need it) for the boards. I glue a ribbon around the edge...the ribbon costs about $3 a spool but you can do a bunch of boards with just one spool. I usually keep it in black and white and only buy other colors if I really need them.

Covering the board with fondant. Doesn't it get damaged like when you go to pick the boards up or if something accidentely touches it?

Also, if you stack a cake what do you use on the foam board to cover it before you put your cake on top??

Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 16

Hobby Lobby sells rolls of gift wrapping paper that does not even require contact paper on top its grease proof. Whole roll with 50ft for 4.99 (I do use contact paper on most even if its grease proof) you shouldn't have any trouble with cardborad if you trace your circle using a larger pan and than use a 'box cutter' to cut it out. tha'ts going to be your cheapest option. I personally buy a sheet of thin wood and my husband cuts what ever size i need. I end up spending about 1 dollar per board. but very strong and reusable

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 16

I use cardboard or corplast (plastic cardboard) and cut my own. I use several layers, depending on the thickness I want. I cover them with wrapping paper (you can get loads of it on sale after a holiday, etc.) since the cake is on its on board and doesn't rest on the paper.

trishalynn0708 Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyna

Hobby Lobby sells rolls of gift wrapping paper that does not even require contact paper on top its grease proof. Whole roll with 50ft for 4.99 (I do use contact paper on most even if its grease proof) you shouldn't have any trouble with cardborad if you trace your circle using a larger pan and than use a 'box cutter' to cut it out. tha'ts going to be your cheapest option. I personally buy a sheet of thin wood and my husband cuts what ever size i need. I end up spending about 1 dollar per board. but very strong and reusable

What exactly is contact paper and where can you get that at???

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 16

One *never!* knows where that cardboard has been and/or what has walked/craweled on it icon_sad.gif No way would I use cardboard boxes. They are not strong enough either; you would have to use 3 stacked together to get any strength.
The cost of boards and boxes should be included in what you are charging for the cake. It is miminmul(sp?) Please reconsider your options. Cake boards are available for a reasonicon_smile.gif

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 16

I have my husband go to a large home fix-it store and purchase a huge sheet of particle board then he cuts it into rounds or squares as needed. I use contact paper that can be found at WalMart in rolls in the housewares department - it's basically shelf paper - but sticky on one side - then I wrap the particle board in the contact paper and secure it on the other side with extra heavy shipping tape. The final step is to secure double sided tape along the border then put a nice coordinating ribbon on the double sided tape - because the act of wrapping the contact paper around the board leaves fold lines - unattractive. For the plates under tiers, I too use foamcore board.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 9:50pm
post #9 of 16

You can cut perfect circles out of foam core with a drywall cutter. Check a hardware store or home improvement store.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 11:13am
post #10 of 16

Cover your boards with freezer paper shiny side out. Grease proof food safe and very cheap.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 11:47am
post #11 of 16

Please make sure what your using is food safe! Not all paper is food safe!

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 1:16pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurrette

Please make sure what your using is food safe! Not all paper is food safe!

That's why I make sure if any of the cake touches it, it's only part of the border. thumbs_up.gif

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 1:18pm
post #13 of 16

I use either freezer paper or fondant to cover my cake boards (drums, cake circles or foam core), depending on the design of the cake. Most often, I go with freezer paper, its durable, grease proof, quick and budget friendly. I won't use wrapping paper, its not food safe (dyes/chemicals).

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 30 Mar 2012 , 3:18pm
post #14 of 16

I did a cake where I painted the board with chocolate. It looked really cool but it is textured. I just used left over candy melts and it didn't take much to cover the board.

As for the boards themselves, my time and frustration is worth what I pay for with boards. Our local cake shop carries new boards by Dallas Foam and they are awesome. Food safe, grease proof and thick! They are not the cheapest option but they look very professional and are very sturdy and I don't have to cover them with anything because they are a lovely white. I just edge with the a ribbon. I used it on the Elmo cake in my pics.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 7:37pm
post #15 of 16

...What exactly is contact paper; where can you get that at?...
I see no one has replied to this ? - sorry about thaticon_sad.gif
It is shelf liner. It can be purchased at many grocery stores, places like Wal-Mart and even some $ stores.
It has glue (is sticky) on one side; either clear or printed on the other and is plastic.
NOW: some people has contacted the company and have been told not to use it for this application ........ they are covering their butts...... the reasoning given is that when the cake is cut tiny slivers of the plastic can be served. Well that can happen with *ANY* non-edible covering (aluminum foil, freezer wrap, etc) so I cannot agree.
Use your own judgement knowing the above icon_smile.gif
For years (and still I think) many people has used florist foils. They certainly are NOT the best choice as many (if not all) have lead used in making them.
A safe way is to cover your board with *whatever* you want - including fabric, foils, contac paper etc) , then put the cake on another board the exact size of the cake, which is then glued to the fancy covered board.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 7:45pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishalynn0708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Covering the board with fondant. Doesn't it get damaged like when you go to pick the boards up or if something accidentely touches it?

Also, if you stack a cake what do you use on the foam board to cover it before you put your cake on top??

If you cover the board at least a few days in advance, it hardens until it won't dent if you touch it. I've had people try to return my plate before, not realizing it was just a foamboard with fondant on top.

For the boards between tiers, I use foamboard but I wrap it in press and seal wrap. It won't rip when the cake is cut, the fondant from the tier below won't stick to it, it's really ideal for the job. A bit more expensive than regular plastic wrap but I keep a roll just for wrapping boards.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%