Please Give Tips To Better My Fbt

Decorating By Krista512 Updated 29 Mar 2012 , 3:02pm by TexasSugar

Krista512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krista512 Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 7

i just finished my first buttercream transfer and i must say for doing such a detailed design as my first im quite pleased but I know i could have done better. can anyone please give me some tips to make it even better? I made one big transfer to cover the entire sheet cake. and I would like the white to be more together where you cant see the lines. any advice? http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2296631/square-dancing-club-29th-anniversary

6 replies
Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 7

Im not sure what white lines your talking about. I dont do sheet cake but it looks fabulous to me! Maybe someone who specializes in that can chime in.......

Krista512 Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 7

I piped on the white with a large round tip and then smoothed it in. then when i put the transfer on the cake once it started to thaw i smoothed the white in so you cant see the white lines as much but before i smoothed around as much as I could you could the small gaps in the white where the space between the piping was.

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 7

ok I see now what you mean. Maybe someone with FBT experience can help.

jamawoops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamawoops Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 7

I actually just did my first FBT about 2 weeks ago and I had the same thing happen even though mine was a much smaller scale transfer. There were parts that didn't show the lines as well as others and I think it was solely because I swirled those around more with the tip as I was piping to mix the icing together more. Hope that makes sense. I would think that with such a big transfer as the one you did would allow you to use a spactula to mix the piped lines together more next time. Overall though I think your FBT looked great! I couldn't imagine doing one to cover an entire cake!!

Krista512 Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 7:35pm
post #6 of 7

I didnt want the raised look so i went for it taking the risk of it messing up. just one corner broke off but was easily fixed gluing on with buttercream and smoothing over the breakage line. one advice for anyone working with transfers is WORK FAST have everything ready to cut and your iced cake ready to go cause the moment you take it out of the freezer it is starting the thawing process and it thaws really fast.

i was thinking i should have swirled using the tip, also im wondering if thinning the buttercream out some would help also so it would be easier to swirl and spread better.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 7

Instead of piping lines, keep your tip buried in the icing and let the icing build out around it as you pipe.

I'll put mine in the freezer, then flip them, rub the tops with my fingers/nail, then freezer some more. I also always viva it once it is on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%