Question About Chocolate Buttercream

Decorating By reginaherrin Updated 27 Mar 2012 , 10:20pm by reginaherrin

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 1:10am
post #1 of 8

I just have a quick questions that I hope someone can help me out. I am doing a small tiffany box cake tomorrow and was wanting to ice the cake first in chocolate buttercream and then cover it in teal fondant. If I use the chocolate buttercream will it show through the fondant or will it be okay to use? Thanks in advance.

7 replies
Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 1:25am
post #2 of 8

I Recently covered a cake in white fondant that I first iced with chocolate buttercream and u could not see any color through the fondant.

reginaherrin Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 1:31am
post #3 of 8

Perfect, that is what I was thinking but wanted to make sure. Thanks for your post.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 1:36am
post #4 of 8

Yes, it could show through. Can you fill the cake with the chidolaters buttercream, and then cover the cake with white chocolate ganache, the use the fondant. That is what I have done in the past and it works very well. No one has ever complained.

Hope that helps,
Pam

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 1:43am
post #5 of 8

Ptanyer if u check out my teacher themed cake u will see that the chocolate BC doesn't show through and I rolls fondant thin.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 4:03am
post #6 of 8

I cover chocoate buttercream with white and/or light colored fondant all the time with no problems. I refrigerate the iced cake until the icing is firm. Then I sprinkle a little powdered sugar over the top of the cake and on the counter around the cake. When I drop the fondant onto the cake, the buttercream is firm and the fondant slides easily on the counter while I'm shaping it to the cake. The light sprinkling of powdered sugar on the top of the cake prevents the fondant from "grabbing" the buttercream. I use my smoother as little as possible and don't "work" the fondant over the buttercream any more than necessary to prevent squishing out any chocolate buttercream. In the process, I kind of "seal" the fondant to the counter around the bottom of the cake and then trim the fondant just beyond (outside) the crease at the bottom of the cake. This gives the fondant an edge to rest on as it sets up so that it doesn't pull down on the cake. My main concern is always keeping everything neat and tidy so that I don't get any buttercream smears on the outside of the fondant covered cake.

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 6:14am
post #7 of 8

Most of the cakes in my gallery have dark chocolate ganache under the fondant.

Occasionally, if the fondant stretches a bit, it looks slightly dark underneath, but it's not very often, and easily avoided by rolling the fondant very slightly thicker.

reginaherrin Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 10:20pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all for the input, it really helped. I went ahead and used the chocolate buttercream and have finished the cake. You cannot see the chocolate through the fondant so I am so happy I went ahead and used it. Thanks so much everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%