Crown Topper

Decorating By citygirldesserts Updated 26 Mar 2012 , 11:24pm by cakestars

citygirldesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
citygirldesserts Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 9

I am going to try to replicate this cake. I am wondering if you guys have any tips on making the crown. I plan to use fondant, let me know if there is better material. my main "issue" is the writing on the crown, any ideas how this was done?
LL

8 replies
ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 9

To do the crown I would use either 50/50 gumpaste/fondant or gumpaste alone....they dry harder and more permanent than just fondant alone. You can also mix some tylose with fondant to make quickie gumpaste....1-2 tsp of tylose or gum tragacanth to 1 lb of fondant I think....as for the letters, they appear to me to be cut out on a cricut machine....

Jenise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenise Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 9

If you want to do it out of fondant then I would either mix in some gum paste or tylose into it so that it will harden. Once you have done that you can cut it then wrap it around something, ie coffee can etc. The letters could have been cut with cutters or one of the machine ie cricut. HTH

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 9

Nope, those letters were cut with Funky Tappits. I would use gum paste or fondant with tylose/CMC powder kneaded into it. You need it dry quite stiff, so it doesn't sag or warp inwards. Make it a few days ahead of time, and you'll be fine. You can form that crown on a dummy laid on it's side that is smaller than the tier of cake you'll put it on, or anything with a cylindrical shape. Coffee can, etc.

citygirldesserts Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks ladies..will use gumpaste. As for the letters I can't order the funky tappits the cake is due saturday.

citygirldesserts Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 10:46pm
post #6 of 9

Can i pick up the funky tappits at a craft store??

Ashleyssweetdesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashleyssweetdesigns Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 11:00pm
post #7 of 9

Ive never seen them at a craft store only online. Try piping with RI.

cakestars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestars Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 9

I did a crown on a cake this past weekend. I just cut out my own template on wax paper, popped it in the freezer for a few minutes then let it dry on a Styrofoam cake dummy. Just don't make it too thin and add tylose to the fondant. The letters are funky alphabet cutters. I ordered mine online and received them in 2 days. Good luck and make two crowns if you can! Gotta have a backup!

cakestars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestars Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 11:24pm
post #9 of 9

also, line the dummy with wax paper for easy removal once its dry

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%