How Do Vanilla Beans Smell Like?

Decorating By mclaren Updated 27 Mar 2012 , 12:57am by AZCouture

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 6

Hi fellow cakers,

I bought some beans from vanillaproducts (Madagascar Bourbon), having never smelled vanilla beans before, I have no idea how they should smell like.

The ones I received smell nothing like the familiar vanilla scent I'm used to, be it in essence / toiletries / f&b / candles etc.

I googled and read that some types of vanilla have the scent similar to licorice, and I've never smelled licorice before, so I have no idea.

If my pods do not smell like the familiar vanilla scent does that mean they are no good?

TIA!

5 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 6

Oh you cannot compare the smell of a real live juicy bean to fake scents in non food products. I have ordered from them many times, and I am positive they smell just the way they should. Intoxicating.

AZCouture Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 6

It should be relatively close to the smell of very good vanilla extract. If they're gooey and pliable, they're good. I love the beans from there.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren

Hi fellow cakers,

I bought some beans from vanillaproducts (Madagascar Bourbon), having never smelled vanilla beans before, I have no idea how they should smell like.

The ones I received smell nothing like the familiar vanilla scent I'm used to, be it in essence / toiletries / f&b / candles etc.

I googled and read that some types of vanilla have the scent similar to licorice, and I've never smelled licorice before, so I have no idea.

If my pods do not smell like the familiar vanilla scent does that mean they are no good?

TIA!

How about anise?

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 12:46am
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much for the replies.

I, however, do have more questions.. LOL.

Does that also mean if I were to brew extract from these beans, the outcome (scent) of it will not be at all the same as the familiar vanilla scent (as in essence, for instance)?

What about if I were to use the seeds as an ingredient in my vanilla cake (without adding in any extracts or essence whatsoever), how will my cake smell, then?

Yup AZCouture, you are right, the smell is just.. intoxicating.. :icon_smile.gif )

jgifford, I'll try to compare it to anise, I believe I hv the spice in my refrig.

AZCouture Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 12:57am
post #6 of 6

It will be heavenly. I don't know what you're trying to compare it to. Vanilla body wash? Candles? Your cake will smell delicious too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%