5 Gum Cake Ideas?

Decorating By mystsparkle Updated 29 Mar 2012 , 4:08am by ladij153

mystsparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mystsparkle Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 1:34pm
post #1 of 9

I want to duplicate this into a cake....any ideas on how to do the blue....i dont have a airbrush gun...any other techniques?
LL

8 replies
cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 9

You could try sponging the color on. Mix your color with vodka (it evaporates quickly, leaving no tacky residue or flavor) to the lightest blue, and sponge that color on, then add a bit more blue to your vodka, wait till the first application is completely dry add another layer of color. Continue layering your colors till you acheive the effect you are looking for. Use the finest grain sponge you can find, and if you find you've applied too much color you can remove it with a clean part of your sponge dipped in clear vodka. HTH

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 2:51pm
post #3 of 9

Another vote for sponging. And you can sponge on buttercream too, in case you wanted to use buttercream for that cake.

Annie

mystsparkle Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 9

great idea! would not have thought of that! do i just use a regulr sponge? or maybe one of those painter type? thank you both soooo much!

cakeyouverymuch Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 9

You'll just want to make sure your sponge has a very fine grain. If it has large holes, those will show up as blank spots. You could also dab your color on with a fluffy paintbrush and blend it with a very soft paper towel or makeup type sponge.

The crust on the pizza here was done with a sponge:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1923475/pizza-and-milkshake

The pie crust here was done with a brush:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1924462/no-its-not-a-pie

The background here was done using both a brush and sponge:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2107257/ginas-cake-topper

mystsparkle Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 9:08pm
post #6 of 9

thanks so much for the samples. i was going to do it all in fondant, as its hard to make blk buttercream . would you cover more than half w/ blk fondant...and then the part i would sponge w/ white fondant? and then sponge in blues and blk?

cakeyouverymuch Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 9

I would cover the whole cake in the dark green and sponge the black onto that, then do a thin layer of white over that, then do the blue sponging on that. As for the solid blue 5 and the other solid colored lettering, I'd mix solid colored fondant and do cutouts. You just want to ensure that the extra layers of fondant are as thin as you can get them without distorting them when you move them. The black will go over the green quite nicely, and the blue should work quite well over the white.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 3:26am
post #8 of 9

If you don't need to do fine lines such as an airbrush does, there is a disposable sprayer you can get at Home Depot or Lowe's called a Preval Sprayer....get it in the paint dept. it has a little jar and a can of propellant that fits onto it and you would mix up your vodka and paint and put it in the jar then just spray it on as needed....would be good for doing the large areas of color you need....I believe Duff Goldman uses the Preval for some things he does....

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 4:08am
post #9 of 9

I forgot to add that the Preval Sprayer is only about $10 or $12 ....I used it to spray the gold on my RI letters on my LV purse cake before I attached them to the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%