Wedding Cake For Theater Prop

Decorating By practiceandpatience Updated 27 Mar 2012 , 1:29am by KoryAK

practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 14

I have been asked to make a dummy cake for our local theater. Due to the hot lights during shows, I was originally going to ice the dummies with RI., but I would prefer the modern look of fondant.
Do you think fondant would hold up under the heat of the stage lights?

13 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 14

If it holds up to high and humid temps at beach weddings wouldn't it also hold up for your occasion?

My other suggestion is why not make a real cake so the cast & crew can enjoy it after the show is done?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 14

The show probably has to run for numerous dates. I did a party cake for a theater prop once. The show ran for two weeks, so a real cake wouldn't have been an option. I used PermaIce on the prop I did, but fondant should be fine.

practiceandpatience Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 12:15am
post #4 of 14

Thank you both! you are correct Leah_s, the show will run for 8 shows over 2 1/2 weeks. I am glad you both think should be ok, I really would rather work with the fondant vs RI!!

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 3:19am
post #5 of 14

I would use cake dummies and spackle tinted the colors I wanted! Why not? It has the consistency of frosting, and dries hard! icon_biggrin.gif

debidehm Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 4:08am
post #6 of 14

*** Plus a "spackle cake" (yes, I'm talking about the stuff for walls) would last a long time! Think of the possibilities! Once it was done (completely dry...might take a few days), you could even spray it with a matt, glossy or even a pearl finish! If the spackle out of the tub is too "wet" you could even thicken it with a bit of white non-sanded grout.

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 10:20am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by debidehm

*** Plus a "spackle cake" (yes, I'm talking about the stuff for walls) would last a long time! Think of the possibilities! Once it was done (completely dry...might take a few days), you could even spray it with a matt, glossy or even a pearl finish! If the spackle out of the tub is too "wet" you could even thicken it with a bit of white non-sanded grout.

And for future "weddings/partys" at the theatre you could add or take away from the same cake to make a new look one without having to redo the lot!

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 3:05pm
post #8 of 14

Fondant will last a good long time too. I have dummies from 5 years ago in my office and aside from the dust they are perfect, and it gets HOT in there in the summertime.

PreTeaGirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PreTeaGirls Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 5:41pm
post #9 of 14

I haven't tried it yet, but have heard that foam insulation works well for dummy cakes.

debidehm Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 9:21pm
post #10 of 14

* Won't fondant fade in time though?

* Some foam insulation (from the can) expands when sprayed....might be harder to control?? icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 9:40pm
post #11 of 14

I have used spackle. Everything used w/it (bags, tips etc) will have to be thrown out after use. It cannot be cleaned icon_sad.gif
And I have never had any too wet - just the opposit.
One must use acrylic(sp?) paints to color it. And it leaves a wierd smell icon_sad.gif
In this case I think her best bet is using fondant. Probably Wilton's since no one will be eating it icon_wink.gif

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 10:25pm
post #12 of 14

The one's I have haven't faded much at all. The one that had teal on it faded a wee bit, but not much, and that's been in there for 3+ years. I had a pink one too that didn't fade either. You have to keep them out of direct sunlight, but mine were in the open on a wire shelf in my office that has 2 big windows.

practiceandpatience Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 12:59am
post #13 of 14

Thank you all for your help! the spackle idea is a great one, (and I would never have thought of that!) except that they will not be keeping the prop as their area for storage is limited, sooo since I will be getting it back, I would like to be able to reuse the dummies. I was worried about fading also, so I think I will go with white fondant and decorations (swags more than likely as smaller decoration will not be visible on stage) and have the color coming from the gumpaste flowers, which I had planned on dusting or airbrushing with color to prevent fading.
Again all of your feedback gives me alot more confidence in this project!!!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 1:29am
post #14 of 14

Spackle would be ok for piping decorations I think (but so would royal) but I covered a whole cake in it once and it was awful! Firmer than icing so it was hard to put on the light dummy and it wanted to dry out really fast (I am in a very dry area).

Just do the fondant.

As far as fading goes, I have found that cakes with the color mixed into the fondant fade far worse than those with the color airbrushed on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%