Dh Jumped On The Bc Bandwagon

Decorating By travmand Updated 25 Mar 2012 , 7:53pm by poohsmomma

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 8

Just came from Walmart....I see Duncan Hines has changed their net weight too. I bought Pillsbury....but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they change their sizes too. How annoying is that....it screws up EVERYTHING!! I'm just.....miffed!! icon_evil.gif

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 8

The walmart here has DH mixes in the new smaller sizes, then they have Duncan Hines Signature in the regular size. They've got the french vanilla now as one of the signature flavors. The regular mixes were about a dollar, the signature were $1.50. It will be more cost-effective to buy the smaller ones and just weigh it to the volume of the old mixes.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 8

If you are worried about using it for the WASC, I just tried the Amazing Chocolate WASC recipe in the most saved recipes section and it worked fine. Used a flower nail in the center and bake even strips. The only adjustment I made was to scale back the sugar to 1.5 cups-just a personal preference.

Annie

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 8

I guess what it boils down to is that I'm just a touchy consumer. It just bugs me... Raise the price....don't try to pull one over on me.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 8

I don't live in the US, but a lot of box mixes here are imported from there. Would you mind telling me what the old size was and what the new one is? I'd like to get ready for the change if I can!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 4:46pm
post #6 of 8

I know trav, it's a sign of the times. Pay more get less. It sucks.

Marianna, the new size is 16.5 I think? The old size was a little over 18. I have exactly one old sized DH mix in the pantry-don't buy them that often.

Annie

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 5:19pm
post #7 of 8

Not only does my Walmart now have the new smaller mix from DH but they raised the price so it is higher than the larger mix was. So much for making the mix smaller so the price wouldn't have to be raised. I bought some Pillsbury too and thought it tasted just as good.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 25 Mar 2012 , 7:53pm
post #8 of 8

I bought an extra mix and weighed out the 1.75 oz. difference in mix. It is 1/3 cup (heaping). However the new mix did not rise like the old. I used to get four 6" layers that were domed above the pan to make a nice 2" finished layer. With the new mix-and the added 1/3 cup of mix- the layers barely rose to the top of the pan and sunk in the middle. I am upset by the change.

I should have said that I'm using this in a WASC recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%