Vegan Cake- No Milk, No Eggs Request

Baking By sberryp Updated 3 Apr 2012 , 2:31am by jason_kraft

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 11

Are there any vegan recipes that kids love? The birthday girl can not eat milk or eggs and I just found out. Please help.

10 replies
sberryp Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 11

Another question , please...can I use Satin Ice fondant on a vegan cake? or should I stick to basic butter cream?

bekazu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bekazu Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 7:40am
post #3 of 11

I don't have a bucket of satin ice handy but most gelatin is NOT vegan. If you are only looking for no milk or eggs it generally acceptable.

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 8:29am
post #4 of 11

The Chocolate Depression Cake/Wacky Chocolate cake is good and ok for vegans, if you want to make it a different flavour sub out the cocoa for flour and add the other flavouring instead (I've done add orange rind and swap orange juice instead of the water, same for lemon but use some juice and the rest water, I'm sure you can do it with any flavour really)

I can't help on Satin Ice but my advice in general is read the labels on EVERYTHING you are thinking of putting in or on the cake. I have a friend who is lactose intollerent and you would be surprised where they add milk products!

Obviously butter cream can't have any butter in it for vegans.

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 11:06am
post #5 of 11

Hi,

Try googling 'chef chloe' -- she has some really good vegan recipes. Her coconut cupcakes recipe is really great.

If I'm not wrong, SatinIce contains no gelatine.

sberryp Posted 29 Mar 2012 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks for all of the suggestions. The mother just told me no eggs and milk.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 5:56am
post #7 of 11

I have had really good results with recipes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. My little boy is allergic to eggs, nuts, and seeds so learning to bake vegan was a necessity. Be sure to follow the recipe to the letter--most substitutions unless noted to do not work. Also, if you use margarine instead of oil, make sure to get vegan margarine.

the chocolate cupcake is wonderful and my second favorite is the banana cake. The Golden Vanilla is pretty okay, but you have to use a good vanilla or extract to give it some life.

I suggest buying the book, but here are a link to recipe:

http://www.culinate.com/books/collections/all_books/Vegan+Cupcakes+Take+Over+the+World/Golden+Vanilla+Cupcakes

http://www.chow.com/recipes/10794-basic-vegan-chocolate-cupcake

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 31 Mar 2012 , 6:55am
post #8 of 11

Satin Ice is vegan and gluten free (which is why it tastes so terrible icon_biggrin.gif).

sberryp Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 6:02pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorieleann

I have had really good results with recipes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. My little boy is allergic to eggs, nuts, and seeds so learning to bake vegan was a necessity. Be sure to follow the recipe to the letter--most substitutions unless noted to do not work. Also, if you use margarine instead of oil, make sure to get vegan margarine.

the chocolate cupcake is wonderful and my second favorite is the banana cake. The Golden Vanilla is pretty okay, but you have to use a good vanilla or extract to give it some life.

I suggest buying the book, but here are a link to recipe:

http://www.culinate.com/books/collections/all_books/Vegan+Cupcakes+Take+Over+the+World/Golden+Vanilla+Cupcakes

http://www.chow.com/recipes/10794-basic-vegan-chocolate-cupcake

Thanks for sharing the recipe!!! Have you tried it as a cake instead of cupcakes?

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 3 Apr 2012 , 1:36am
post #10 of 11

i sure have! I haven't gone really big with it, but up to a 9" two layer. The chocolate is a great recipe and has been around long before 'eating vegan' was a common variation. The banana cake is our go-to family birthday cake because it is so yummy and everyone can eat it (my husband doesn't like chocolate).

I do suggest you test out the recipe first before you just make it for the order. Just to get a feel for it. And definitely work with very cold layers when stacking and frosting.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 3 Apr 2012 , 2:31am
post #11 of 11

We used the Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World book as a base for many of our vegan cake recipes, they work very well for cakes.

In addition to margarine you also have to watch out for chocolate chips. For our dairy-free products we use Earth Balance vegan margarine and 365 brand vegan chocolate chips, both can be found at Whole Foods.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%