Swiss Meringue Buttercream & Fondant???

Decorating By sianpa22 Updated 27 Mar 2012 , 1:21pm by elliespartycake

sianpa22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sianpa22 Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 9

i'm pretty sure someone has already asked this question but i have looked almost everywhere in the forum & didn't find an answer.

can i cover my cake with fondant if i crumb-coat it with swiss meringue buttercream OR italian meringue??

THANKS!

8 replies
ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 4:31am
post #2 of 9

Definitely! I don't like to eat fondant, so I always put a generous layer of buttercream under my fondant so that people have some good old fashioned icing to eat with their cake icon_smile.gif When I use a European buttercream - whether Italian or Swiss - I ice the cake, smooth it as well as I can, and then refrigerate the iced cake until the icing is very firm. Then I do a final smoothing with a flat-edged sharp knife and then apply the fondant. It works great! Here's a link to a cake that I did yesterday. The 10" bottom layer is iced with a thick layer of lemon swiss buttercream and then covered with MFF. It was filled with a layer of raspberry filling and another of the buttercream.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2296367/retro-flower-baby-shower-cake

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 4:45am
post #3 of 9

<All SMBC.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 5:26am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycknits

It was filled with a layer of raspberry filling and another of the buttercream.

I wondered for those that use either IMBC or SMBC how you do the dam for your filling? Both those icings are very soft, and in order to avoid the "bulge" from the filling, it is said to use a stiff buttercream dam. So what is the answer when using a soft buttercream icing? How to dam a filling with IMBC??
icon_confused.gif

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 5:47am
post #5 of 9

You damn the same, except your buttercream is all one consistency. I never have bulges.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 6:09am
post #6 of 9

I don't even dam

siuingme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
siuingme Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 8:15am
post #7 of 9

So, if I use SMBC how long I keep my cake in refrigerator ? Is that refrigerator or freezer ?

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 12:28pm
post #8 of 9

I never ever get bulges with meringue buttercreams.

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 1:21pm
post #9 of 9

I use only SMBC and dam with it before adding filling. Never have problems; however, you will always have problems if you use a layer of filling that is too thick. That is the key, no matter what frosting you use; keep your filling to approx 1/4 ".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%