Swiss Meringue Buttercream & Fondant???

Decorating By sianpa22 Updated 1 Apr 2012 , 8:10pm by vgcea

sianpa22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sianpa22 Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 9

i'm pretty sure someone has already asked this question but i have looked almost everywhere in the forum & didn't find an answer.

can i cover my cake with fondant if i crumb-coat it with swiss meringue buttercream OR italian meringue??

THANKS!

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 9

Of course. Why wouldn't they work?

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 9

yes. They are my favorite. I get much better looking cakes (straight sides and sharp edges) when I use those frostings under fondant. Plus, they are much better tasting than using powdered sugar frosting. Less sickenly sweet, less gritty.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 9

Gosh, I was just wondering about that yesterday icon_smile.gif
I always use ganache, but I'm a hobby baker and ganache does get expensive...so, I did wonder about IMBC...but, isn't IMBC a very soft icing??

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 9

Yes, it is, but you frost the cake, straighten up the sides, top and edges, then refrigerate it. Once it is firm, cover in fondant. Voila!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 7:48pm
post #6 of 9

^^ When you put it in the fridge it hardens and holds its shape. Think 'Butter' and 'Fridge.'

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 7:52pm
post #7 of 9

Ahhhh, thank you karate and vgcea! I will use IMBC next time for sure icon_smile.gif

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea

^^ When you put it in the fridge it hardens and holds its shape. Think 'Butter' and 'Fridge.'

That's a brilliant way to describe it, I've always wondered about it and never had the guts to try it but now that I understand how it works I'll give it a go, thanks!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 1 Apr 2012 , 8:10pm
post #9 of 9

You're welcome icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%