Wasc -Chocolate

Baking By believer Updated 23 Mar 2012 , 4:22pm by believer

believer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
believer Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 11:42am
post #1 of 9

This recipe is not working for me. What is your favorite Chocolate cake recipe. This is for a wedding cake in two weeks. My batter seems too thin. After baking the cake the top is fudgy. I am afraid it might not be done inside. I made a 14 inch and 2 6 inch. Please share with your best recipe for a chocolate cake for a wedding.
icon_sad.gif Thanks

8 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 12:44pm
post #2 of 9

Are you looking for a scratch recipe or a box recipe? For scratch, my favorite is the Double Chocolate Layer cake from Epicurious.com. You need to use good chocolate for that. Also, the Hershey's recipe is very good too (on the back of the cocoa can).

For box, last night I just baked the Amazing Chocolate WASC Cake and it turned out well. I did the double recipe, but scaled the sugar down to 1.5 cups. I used a flower nail in the center as well as bake-even strips around the outside of the pan. It baked in about an hour.

Good luck!

believer Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 4:59pm
post #3 of 9

That the one I was using. Did your cake look wet. Maybe I didn't bake long enough. The six inch baked about 45 minutes.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 9

Is it possible you over-filled your pan? With chocolate I only fill about halfway, anymore than that and it might sink or erupt onto my oven floor. For a box cake, it didn't taste half bad when I tried the leftover cupcakes. Double check your measurements and give it another try. Next time use the baking strip and flower nail. I baked mine at 325 since that's what the recipe said. Also, I didn't open the oven until about 45 minutes. For a 6", I would wait until about a half hour and then check on it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 9

May I suggest that maybe your oven is off? Have you checked it lately?
I just don't understand why you are having such problems with WASC. Did you use my *original* recipe?
May I also suggest you use your nose instead of a timericon_smile.gif
When you can smell that cake aroma wafting through the kitchen/house it is done. I seldom used a timer. I could tell when I smelled it. Being in a busy kitchen I usually was doing something else and not paying attention to clocks.

Brettley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brettley Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

I just don't understand why you are having such problems with WASC. Did you use my *original* recipe?
When you can smell that cake aroma wafting through the kitchen/house it is done. I seldom used a timer. I could tell when I smelled it. Being in a busy kitchen I usually was doing something else and not paying attention to clocks.

I do the exact same thing. I don't use a timer(wouldn't know how to use the oven timer if I needed to) I know 100% by smell.

Anyway, I baked the Chocolate WASC last night and the cakes turned out great! I was baking 2-10" cakes. I bake at 300-> I think my oven is a little hotter than most, and they took just over an hour. For the 2-10" cakes I used 3 boxes of cake mix with the added 1/2 ingredients, and it worked great. Got a few cupcakes too.

I do find that the middle of the chocolate WASC sinks a little, but nothing really signifigant. you cannot notice it after the to has been cut off. I do not open the oven until I can smell the cake though, so maybe you just opened it too soon.

Brettley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brettley Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

I do the exact same thing. I don't use a timer(wouldn't know how to use the oven timer if I needed to) I know 100% by smell.

Anyway, I baked the Chocolate WASC last night and the cakes turned out great! I was baking 2-10" cakes. I bake at 300-> I think my oven is a little hotter than most, and they took just over an hour. For the 2-10" cakes I used 3 boxes of cake mix with the added 1/2 ingredients, and it worked great. Got a few cupcakes too.

I do find that the middle of the chocolate WASC sinks a little, but nothing really signifigant. you cannot notice it after the to has been cut off. I do not open the oven until I can smell the cake though, so maybe you just opened it too soon.

believer Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 4:11pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks everyone. I will make sure it the orginial recipe. Will ltry again!

believer Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 4:22pm
post #9 of 9

Kakeladi it was not your recipe. It did say WASC but it add coffee and oil. I will try your recipe this weekend. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%