Cricut For Cake Problems

Decorating By bekazu Updated 23 Mar 2012 , 3:08am by tamimccloud

bekazu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bekazu Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 8:26am
post #1 of 4

WE recently purchased a cricut for cake. We've made two spectacular cakes with it and now...

Despite changing the blade and the cutting mat I cannot get it to cut Wilton gumpaste. I handled the fondant fine but the gumpaste tears and drags.

I've dusted it well with cornstarch, froze it on the cutting mat, said nice things to the cake gods and nothing but nothing. I usually put the machine away and go back to my exacto knife and cutters.

Anyone have any ideas for what we are doing wrong?

3 replies
bekazu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bekazu Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 8:28am
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekazu

WE recently purchased a for cake. We've made two spectacular cakes with it and now...

Despite changing the blade and the cutting mat I cannot get it to cut Wilton gumpaste. I handled the fondant fine but the gumpaste tears and drags.

I've dusted it well with cornstarch, froze it on the cutting mat, said nice things to the cake gods and nothing but nothing. I usually put the machine away and go back to my exacto knife and cutters.

Anyone have any ideas for what we are doing wrong?

Little more info. I've used the paper machines before so I do know how to change the blade depth and cutting speed, resize objects and lots of litte bits like that.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 4

You might try watching Linda McClure's youtube videos. I've had great success with gumpaste using her method but I haven't used wilton gumpaste. The key is rolling it very, very thin and letting it dry a bit before cutting.

tamimccloud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamimccloud Posted 23 Mar 2012 , 3:08am
post #4 of 4

I have been having pretty good luck with freezing the cutting mat for 5-10 mins before cutting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%