Royal Icing Bubbles/sinking

Baking By KsCakes09 Updated 26 Mar 2012 , 11:34pm by cakegrandma

KsCakes09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KsCakes09 Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 16

how do you prevent holes in your royal icing? what happens is when I flood the icing, it looks fine at first until it starts to set up & then it sinks in certain spots & leaves an indentation in the icing & at that point its too late to fix it cause the icing is already setting... Anyone else ever have this problem? any suggestion would be great. I don't have my pictures of the most recent cookies that this happened to yet but I will post them shortly so you can see what I mean. Thanks.

15 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 16

Whenever I thin small amounts of royal for flooding, and also colour it, I get air bubbles. Because of this, I colour and/or thin it and then let it rest for a while before using. The air bubbles will rise to the top and burst, or I will burst them.

New-Baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
New-Baker Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 8:16am
post #3 of 16

I let my icing rest last time and got more air bubbles than when I used it straight away...

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 12:33pm
post #4 of 16

Sounds like your royal icing is too thin. If it is too thin, it will sink after flooding. Thinning with water can also cause this. I mix up a mixture of "meringue water" to use to thin my royal icing. It's 5T warm water to 1T meringue powder. Mix it up (I shake it in a small container) and let it sit for a few hours (overnight is better). Skim off the foam and use what's left to thin your royal to flooding consistency.

As for the air bubbles. Make your royal and thin it. Then cover it with saran wrap (pressed down to the surface) and let sit a few hours (overnight is best). When you pull the saran wrap off, most of the air bubbles will come with it. Keep a corsage pin handy while flooding, and if you see an air bubble you can pop it with the pin.

Hope that helps. Good luck!
Chelle

chelleb1974 Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 12:35pm
post #5 of 16

Sounds like your royal icing is too thin. If it is too thin, it will sink after flooding. Thinning with water can also cause this. I mix up a mixture of "meringue water" to use to thin my royal icing. It's 5T warm water to 1T meringue powder. Mix it up (I shake it in a small container) and let it sit for a few hours (overnight is better). Skim off the foam and use what's left to thin your royal to flooding consistency.

As for the air bubbles. Make your royal and thin it. Then cover it with saran wrap (pressed down to the surface) and let sit a few hours (overnight is best). When you pull the saran wrap off, most of the air bubbles will come with it. Keep a corsage pin handy while flooding, and if you see an air bubble you can pop it with the pin.

Chelle

chelleb1974 Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 12:37pm
post #6 of 16

Chelle

chelleb1974 Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 12:37pm
post #7 of 16

Chelle

chelleb1974 Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 12:39pm
post #8 of 16

Chelle

chelleb1974 Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 12:41pm
post #9 of 16

Chelle

chelleb1974 Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 12:43pm
post #10 of 16

Chelle

chelleb1974 Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 12:47pm
post #11 of 16

Chelle

chelleb1974 Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 12:48pm
post #12 of 16

Chelle

chelleb1974 Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 12:50pm
post #13 of 16

Chelle

chelleb1974 Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 12:52pm
post #14 of 16

Chelle

chelleb1974 Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 12:54pm
post #15 of 16

Chelle

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 11:34pm
post #16 of 16

When you stir water to thin or coloring be sure to move your stirrer (spoon, knife or spatula) slowly in figure eights. The faster you move the stirrer you bring in more air, thus air bubbles. I hope this helps you.
evelyn

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%