Cake Dummy: What's Best: Water/shortening/piping Gel

Decorating By Delynn Updated 24 Mar 2012 , 12:33am by treetgirl

Delynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 13

Starting to roll out fondant soon and wonder what's best to adhere fondant to cake dummy: water, shortening or piping gel to cut down on possible fondant tearing???

12 replies
sandyvrc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandyvrc Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 13

i have the same question, it needs something because i tried this yesterday. i think it needs frosting, shortening is my best guess of the 3. water does not work! (well it didnt work for me).

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 13

The best thing to use is actually a thin layer of bc, just like a real cake. After a while when it's dried thoroughly and you want to change the decorations, you can slip a knife between the fondant and the dummy and it will just pop off.

Delynn Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 12:17am
post #4 of 13

Thanks for your replies. Because time was of the essence (when isn't it for cake decorators icon_smile.gif ), I went ahead and tried the piping gel and boy does it stick!!! (I brushed it on with a wide pastry brush).

I was afraid to use water because I thought it might start dissolving the fondant slightly before I was done pulling it away from the cake as I smoothed it, maybe causing it to tear.

NEXT time, I'll try using BC on one and shortening on the other since I happen to have (4) 6" cake dummies icon_smile.gif

treetgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
treetgirl Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 12:59am
post #5 of 13

I need to make some cake dummies for a wedding fair. What's the best way to hold them down while I smooth on the buttrercream? I've tried duck tape and that doesn't work. I've tried glue but I then can't get them off the board. Help! Thanks![/quote]

Delynn Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 2:15am
post #6 of 13

treetgirl... Yeah, that's the frustrating part!!! Since I didn't ice with BC first on these 2, before laying the fondant on top, I did put a circle of rubber grip mat underneath the cake dummy on my turntable (mat used under rugs to hold them in place), at least a 1/2" smaller dia.. This did help somewhat to keep the dummy from sliding around.

I've heard of people nailing a couple of long nails through the bottom of a board (points up) and pushing the dummy down onto them. I'd pull the dummy on and off a few times till it slips on and off easy, then you won't have to worry about not being able to lift the dummy when it's time? OR I might stick a metal skewer in the center on top of the dummy (loosening it the same as above) before I start so, I'd have something to hold onto to? Then you'd only have a very small hole to fill with BC after you take the skewer out of the dummy?

If I had to BC a dummy, I'd hold the top down with my hand until I ice AND smooth the sides, then ice and smooth the top.

Andrea0730 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andrea0730 Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 2:19am
post #7 of 13

As far as keeping the dummies down while frosting, try taping some non-skid (the stuff you see in kitchen drawers) to the bottom of the cake board. Works like a charm for me.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 2:19am
post #8 of 13

I just covered my first fondant dummies last night and I doused them with water, shook off the excess and coved them. It worked perfectly.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 2:33am
post #9 of 13

I took a class with James Roselle last year and he uses water. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me icon_lol.gif.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 2:45am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by treetgirl

I need to make some cake dummies for a wedding fair. What's the best way to hold them down while I smooth on the buttrercream? I've tried duck tape and that doesn't work. I've tried glue but I then can't get them off the board. Help! Thanks!

[/quote]

The Ateco Pronged Pivot:
http://atecostore.com/p/560/pronged-pivot-for-cake-decorating-turntables

Delynn Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 4:43am
post #11 of 13

treetgirl: see CWR41 reply & link... it's similar to what I was talking about (nails sticking up through the bottom of a board; only this way is a lot cheaper icon_smile.gif )

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 3:22pm
post #12 of 13

If you use water you want to use a very, very, very light mist of it.

I've used water, crisco, piping gel and corn syrup. They have all worked fine for me and really haven't found one that just works way better than the others.

treetgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
treetgirl Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 12:33am
post #13 of 13

Thanks SOOO much for your help! I can't wait to try this out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%