She Put It In The Freezer!

Decorating By Claire138 Updated 27 Mar 2012 , 5:59am by Claire138

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 19 Mar 2012 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 7

I'm not sure this is under the right topic area but couldn't decide what it came under. Anyway, a friend of mine for whom I made a cake last week called me today to tell me that she had put it in the freezer after picking it up and will it be ok? It's a chocolate cake with chocolate ganache and covered in MMF.
I told her to be sure to let it come to room temp before touching it or cutting it but am not sure if there are any other instructions to give? I'm not even sure if the cake will be "ok" once it thaws. She has thrown away the box so it's not covered, if anyone has any idea on any thing else that might or will work please help me out here icon_smile.gif Thanks

6 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 4:26am
post #2 of 7

How long will it be in the freezer--UNCOVERED???? A few days will probably OK, but................I mean, really, why would someone put ANYTHING in the freezer UNCOVERED??????????

To minimize sweating, she should defrost it in the fridge and then sit it on the counter with a box over it until it comes to room temp. It'll still sweat a bit, but if she doesn't touch it, it should be OK.

Oh, and since she did this on her own without consulting you first, any issues that result are strictly HER fault--no refunds, no free cake, whatever.

Rae

Claire138 Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 7:01am
post #3 of 7

Thanks Rae,

Well, my friend said that it will be in the freezer for a week (after her first telling me it will be in for 2 months - yikes)! I talked her out of that idea & now she said she will take it out next week.
I will call her this morning and tell her to first put it in the fridge.

Thanks again.

Claire138 Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 5:58pm
post #4 of 7

Forgot to add that it was a gift so there would be no question of reimbursing but thanks for your answer, I'll keep it in mind for next time! Although I wonder, should I now say to people "don't put it in the freezer?" I did tell her not to put it in the fridge so I have no idea why she thought it would be ok to put in the freezer, sigh............

Claire138 Posted 22 Mar 2012 , 3:47pm
post #5 of 7

Hi Rae,

So she called me today to tell me that she wants to take it out of the freezer tomorrow to eat over the weekend, I told her what you said and she asked what kind of box to put over it? bc she lives far she can't come back here to get a cake box, can I tell her a regular cardboard box just make sure it's clean?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Mar 2012 , 1:16pm
post #6 of 7

Yes, any clean box that is taller and larger than the base of the cake will help.

Rae

Claire138 Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 5:59am
post #7 of 7

Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%