Alabama Cottage Food Law Bill Sb352 Letter Writing Campaign

Decorating By cakeymom Updated 28 Feb 2013 , 11:23pm by lovintheoven

redheadfairy2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redheadfairy2003 Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 5:50pm
post #31 of 96

Hey Deb ! I just moved here also. I don't live far from Huntsville. How do you like living here so far ?

redheadfairy2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redheadfairy2003 Posted 17 Sep 2012 , 9:17pm
post #32 of 96

Does anyone know what we can start doing or who to call ? That way we can get a jump start on this so it can get passed this upcoming year ?

LibiTaylor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LibiTaylor Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 12:48am
post #33 of 96

AReally wanting this bill to pass in February. What is the next step and what can I do?

Lagee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lagee Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 3:49am
post #34 of 96

I would like to do whatever possible to help this Bill along! I really need this to go through! Has there been any recent news?

Texas had a Facebook page going to raise awareness when they were trying to get passed. I wonder if that would be a good idea for Alabama? 

I am here to do anything to help! Let's do this!

LibiTaylor Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 6:58pm
post #35 of 96

AFacebook page can't hurt! And contacting all the people on the committee in the earlier link. I am doing this, it the more people from all around the state that do it the better I would think.

sel1463 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sel1463 Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 7:48pm
post #36 of 96

I live south of the Birmingham area and would love for this Bill to get passed. I am more than willing to contact/write a letter!  I looked at the link of Chairpersons, but I'm not sure who to contact. Can anyone help me with this?

Jasmine2013 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine2013 Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 10:13pm
post #37 of 96

More about the Alabama Cottage food laws - http://cottagefoodlaws.com/state-regulations/alabama-cottage-food-law/

What you can do to start an a cottage food movement

Lagee Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 8:13pm
post #38 of 96

Ladies, I just talked with Sen. Glover's assistant a length on the phone. He has not said anything to her yet about trying to bring back this Bill. She is going to talk to him and call me back. Bottom line about last year was 2 things. 1) she said there was not enough support backing this Bill, meaning not enough calls and letters. It seemed like the people didn't want it bad enough. 2) she said there was someone or some committee that was against it. She couldn’t remember who or which but someone was not for it. She is going to talk to Sen. Glover but she strongly suggested I contact my local Senator and try to get him to support the Bill. I encourage you all to call your local senators and stress the importance of this Bill. I asked her how we go about raising the income limit and she said it just has to be proposed as an amendment to the bill. So in talking to your senators, tell them 5K is not enough!

There are states getting this law every year, let’s make it the year of Alabama! I will let you all know what she says when she calls back. I do think a Facebook page will be the best and fastest way to reach people to get support on this bill. I know there are a ton of bakers in AL that want this!

Lagee Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 8:28pm
post #39 of 96

And just to practice what I have just asked you all to do, I just called Senator Sanford's office (Huntsville) expressing my support in getting this Bill reintroduced as well as raising the income limit! I hope to know more soon!

http://www.legislature.state.al.us/senate/senators/senateroster_alpha.html

You can find the list of Alabama Senators here. Just search on your zip code on the left!

LibiTaylor Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 5:01pm
post #40 of 96

AWell, I just contacted my representative and my senator. I am not sure how to do the Facebook page, but I will sign it and share it if someone can get it up and going. We can do this!!!

Lagee Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 8:12pm
post #41 of 96

Hey Ladies! Good news to share! I got off the phone with Sen Glover's assistant and she informed me that he WILL be reintroducing the bill this year! BUT, not at first. He wants to find out why and who stopped the bill from going any further last year. It turns out the Mobile article was WRONG about the $ cap. The limit was actually $50K! Not $5K. He is thinking someone didn't like that and they are going to lower it some. He wants to make sure it is written in such a way that is will go through for sure this year! YAY!

SO, she asked me what was a good amount? I didn't know really, so I said $20-$30K. Is that enough?? What do you ladies suggest??

She told me to call her back at the end of Feb and she could give me an update. She said right now there isn't anything I can do in support but after I talk to her in Feb it will be time to start calling and writing letters! We are within reach again! :)

LibiTaylor Posted 10 Jan 2013 , 9:10pm
post #42 of 96

ASo, Senator Holley's office just called me and said there is still no food industry bill yet to be filed in the house or the senate. I think we are on limited time if there is to be movement on the issue in this session.

Lagee Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 2:16am
post #43 of 96

ALibi, I think that's what Sen. Glover's assistant was explaining. Before he puts the bill back out there he wants to figure out what killed it last year to make changes to make sure it passes. Lets not give up hope yet!!

LibiTaylor Posted 11 Jan 2013 , 4:51pm
post #44 of 96

ANo indeed. We can make this happen.

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 4:54am
post #45 of 96

AMaybe an online petition? I just don`t know how to start it???????????

sweettooth_in_bama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth_in_bama Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 6:05pm
post #46 of 96

I just saw this thread. I too am in Alabama. I think the problem is that nobody really knows about it. If we could get a Facebook page going, that would be the best idea. Has anybody done that yet?

Lagee Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 4:51pm
post #47 of 96

No, we don't have a Facebook page yet. I will look into creating one as well as a petition!

Lagee Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 5:46pm
post #48 of 96

Alright, I have created a page but I am not good with words! If anyone would be willing to help me with a short info write up for the page purpose, it would be great!! Here is the link to the page. There is nothing on it yet but once we get some info out there we can begin to share it with our friends and create awareness and generate support!

https://www.facebook.com/AlabamaCottageLawBill

Lagee Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 7:15pm
post #49 of 96

I have created a FB page. It's blank right now. I could use help with some verbage for the purpose of the page and so. I am not the best with words. I don't want to step on any toes, so if anyone wants to Admin this page with me let me know and I will add you!

https://www.facebook.com/AlabamaCottageLawBill

Lagee Posted 15 Jan 2013 , 3:51am
post #50 of 96

I have posted a few comments and articles to the FB page. Please join in and let's spread the word!

cakeymom Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 5:27am
post #51 of 96

AWonderful. I wonder if there is a way to tie a petition to it????

cakeymom

nancy6372 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancy6372 Posted 17 Jan 2013 , 6:58am
post #52 of 96

In a way, I wish I could start a bakery business out of my home kitchen, BUT don't you think that having this law in place prevents everybody under the sun from starting their own baking business thus keeping the competition down a bit?  separates those who are serious about baking & cake decorating from the rest?  

I'm interested to know the AL residents thoughts?  

cakeymom Posted 21 Jan 2013 , 9:38pm
post #53 of 96

AI am not quite sure of your question but I'll say this. I do not have enough money to open a storefront and I have what quite a few think are good products. Therefore I would love the idea of earning money to start setting aside for a storefront and the sales information to put together a business plan. I would guess that a lot of storefront owners started out by baking out of their kitchens honing their skills for free or maybe even selling under the table. This is a win win situation for the state and local municipalities in that they will now receive sales tax and business license revenue and people like myself do not have to look over their shoulders and if this is a hobby some extra money or again if like myself a future business owner looking forward to employing others.

Cakeymom

Lagee Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 4:58am
post #54 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeymom 

I am not quite sure of your question but I'll say this. I do not have enough money to open a storefront and I have what quite a few think are good products. Therefore I would love the idea of earning money to start setting aside for a storefront and the sales information to put together a business plan. I would guess that a lot of storefront owners started out by baking out of their kitchens honing their skills for free or maybe even selling under the table. This is a win win situation for the state and local municipalities in that they will now receive sales tax and business license revenue and people like myself do not have to look over their shoulders and if this is a hobby some extra money or again if like myself a future business owner looking forward to employing others.

Cakeymom

I couldn't have said it better myself! I do think there will be a huge influx of bakers in the beginning but I also think most of them will fizzle out. However, without this law none of us will get the chance to try it out before investing tons of money into a business that eventually fails or we decide it wasn't for us. 

Lagee Posted 22 Jan 2013 , 5:00am
post #55 of 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeymom 

Wonderful. I wonder if there is a way to tie a petition to it????

cakeymom

What would the petition be for? From speaking with other states and seeing what they have done, it appears they had the petition to get the bill written. Since we already have that in work, I am not sure what the petition would be for but maybe I am missing something. I am totally for doing whatever we need to to get this done!!

cakeymom Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 6:09pm
post #56 of 96

Of those for it.  But, maybe this is a little redundant given the Facebook page.  Just a thought to show numbers????

cakeymom

cakeymom Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 6:10pm
post #57 of 96

BTW, I am already drafting a letter to start sending out once the bill has been given a number icon_biggrin.gif

cakeymom

Chocolate717 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chocolate717 Posted 25 Jan 2013 , 11:45pm
post #58 of 96

Hello everyone.  I have been posting on the Alabama Cottage Food Law Bill page and have created a Facebook  petition to send to Sen Glover's office. Alabama Cottage Food Law Petition. We have seven signitures so far.

It is linked to the Alabama Cottage Food Law Bill page.   I am excited to find so much interest in this and I hope that we can all work together to make this a reality for us.

Chocolate717 Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 6:13pm
post #59 of 96

HI, So nice to find you all  here !
The petition can be found on the Alabama Cottage Food Law Petition page on Facebook.  There is also a link to it from the Alabama Cottage Food Law Bill page.  When we get our 100 signatures  all the names will go to Sen Glover's office. Look at California's new law and the re-visions that Texas is making to theirs. Let's all work together to get a strong law for Alabama. Get the energy moving. So many people here in Alabama need to work and support their families. Some are old and can not live on Social Security alone.  Let's include them too !

So nice to find you all  here !

Chocolate717 Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 6:20pm
post #60 of 96

I will be glad to help in anyway I can.  I am a chocolatier, not a Baker, but I so want this to pass ! One thing I have seen , talking to others who have been successful in other states is we need to show strength in Numbers !  This was one of the main reasons that they created a petition.  Let's get ours to Sen Glover THIS week.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%