Swiss Meringue-How Is It For Cupcakes At An Outdoor Wedding

Decorating By MyFavoriteCake Updated 17 Mar 2012 , 4:25pm by FromScratchSF

MyFavoriteCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyFavoriteCake Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 2:48am
post #1 of 5

I've been asked to make cupcakes with Swiss Meringue (NOT Swiss Meringue Buttercream) - Just regular Swiss Meringue as the cupcake topping. The wedding is June - outside at a vineyard. I've been told that the cake table will be in the shade. I'm starting to worry about how whether the Swiss Meringue will dry out - Bride has told me there is a kitchen available and she can keep the cupcakes in the kitchen until the last minute, but they will still be outside during the ceremony (15 minutes) and during the picture taking. Anyone had experience with Swiss Meringue outside?

Thanks!

4 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 3:58am
post #2 of 5

I use Italian meringue and it is quite durable. Is there a reason why you need Swiss meringue? The Italian method turns the whites into a confection where the Swiss method Is just white and eggs, heated to 160 to kill the harmful organisms. The taste will be similar.

If you are interested, let me know.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 5:50am
post #3 of 5

Italian is also more stable. I would definitely go with that.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 7:11am
post #4 of 5

The Philipines has a tradition of using Meringue Frosting for their celebration cakes.

Filipino Meringue Frosting
1 cup egg white [~7]
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
2 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water
Place the eggwhites in the bowl of a mixer with the cream of tartar.
In a small saucepan. mix the sugar with the water.
Using a candy thermometer to measure, boil the mixture on medium heat.
When temperature reaches 255ºF, start beating the eggwhites with wire whisk attachment on Medium until it resembles soft marshmallow fluff, 4 min. Increase to High and beat until very thick, 3 mins.
Cook the syrup until the temperature reaches 260ºF, remove to carefully pour the syrup slowly into egg white meringue while beating at medium speed.
Beat on High until cool and the right consistency to spread until it forms soft peaks and is of spreading consistency.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 5

Do a 7 minute icing. Essentially the same thing with different sugar to egg ratios (Italian method) but stays more gooey and doesn't break down as quickly (I've had it last 2 days versus less then 1 by using Swiss or Italian meringue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%