Ideas For Shipping Cupcakes

Decorating By sweetthang1972 Updated 27 Mar 2012 , 4:20am by scp1127

sweetthang1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetthang1972 Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 2:43am
post #1 of 5

Have been doing some research and so far have found these thoughts: (would like to hear you take on them and any new ones you may have or want to add about shipping cupcakes..

1-freezing cupcakes and shipping with dry ice
2-freezing cupcakes but shipping without dry ice (if this is recommended, does anyone have a picture or source for how to use and ship, pack and handle with dry ice)
3-placing cupcakes in jars (or plastic containers) to protect from damage and maintain freshness
4-shipping cupcakes without freezing or any other sealing package
5-Also want to know what kind of box or shipping container is recommended and
6-which shipping service is best for food---does it need to be declared or have some special handling to be legal and safe?

The cupcakes I'm wanting to ship are made with French Buttercream (contains egg). I may also fill them with lemon curd or something similar. Since they will be for my business I want them to arrive looking professional and clean and be very fresh. I want the packaging to look nice and not be messy.

Any help, ideas or discussion about these thoughts would be appreciated.

4 replies
lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 3:01am
post #2 of 5

You'd have to ship them chilled with the perishable filling and frosting. They'd spoil in transit if you didn't.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 4:38am
post #3 of 5

You need an FDA license to ship from an FDA certified kitchen. You don't get choices. You must comply with every detail of their shipping requirements.

This is serious business. If you had the license, the FDA inspector will give you the compliance rules. You can also look them up on the approved site.

You are shipping perishables that can seriously hurt someone.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 26 Mar 2012 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 5

Would she need the FDA kitchen if she was shipping something to a family member though? From the other posts it sounded like this wasn't a for sale thing. I may have crossed some threads though as this was from a little while ago.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 27 Mar 2012 , 4:20am
post #5 of 5

Her first post stated that it was for her business. But... even if it is for family, especially family, because it is perishable, I would follow FDA guidelines.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%