I Need The Right Tools...

Decorating By Dr_Hfuhruhurr Updated 16 Mar 2012 , 6:00am by karateka

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 12:23am
post #1 of 8

I have an important cake coming up for my brother's wedding, and I need to make a lot of figurines and small details. I don't have any concerns about the actual sculpting, as I've been a FIMO hobbyist for a long time. However, my previous experience with fondant and gumpaste has me worried more about the fundamentals.

Specifically, how does anyone sculpt with this stuff without it drying out? My experience with Satin Ice brand fondant and gumpaste is that it begins to dry out and crack after very limited exposure to the air... so I have to cover cakes pretty quickly. When I'm sculpting, I like to take a lot of time with details.

So... Is there a particular brand of fondant or gumpaste that works best?

Alternatively, is it possible to just use homemade MMF? I have a recipe I really like, but I'm assuming tylose powder or some other alterations would be required. Any tips? Also, if I go for homemade (which I'd really prefer) can someone please point me to a specific brand of food coloring for coloring fondant? I have never had any luck getting anything other than pastels when I try to color fondant.

Thanks very much for any help you can give!!!

7 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 12:30am
post #2 of 8

What if you sculpt from modeling chocolate. You can take your time with details. The only issue is if you hold it for too long, it gets overwarm and too soft, so you'd have to stop every so often and work on another piece while that one cools.

You'd need candy colors (fat soluble) to color that.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 12:51am
post #3 of 8

I use home made MMF mixed half and half with bought gum paste and it seems to be pretty forgiving for a good while. If the things I'm making are small or not very heavy I can get by with 3/4 MMF and 1/4 gum paste. I just use the Wilton gum paste for figures because no one is going to be eating those things, so taste is not so important.

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 1:09am
post #4 of 8

I use MMF and Wilton gum paste. That has been working out well for me.

SheliaRenee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheliaRenee Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 1:48am
post #5 of 8

I always use modeling chocolate. Its super easy to work with and it takes color really well. The best thing is I can start on a project a couple weeks in advance and just cover everything with plastic wrap when I need to stop and it stays good for quite awhile. It melts really easily when you handle it a lot. I just wash my hands a lot to keep them cool and I can work with it longer. I highly recommend using modeling chocolate!

SweetSouthernBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSouthernBakery Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 2:30am
post #6 of 8

I've found that Satin Ice dries out very quickly but I've had good luck with Fondx.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 2:31am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by karateka

What if you sculpt from modeling chocolate. You can take your time with details. The only issue is if you hold it for too long, it gets overwarm and too soft, so you'd have to stop every so often and work on another piece while that one cools.

You'd need candy colors (fat soluble) to color that.

This is an idea I hadn't thought of--so extra thanks!! Can you buy modeling chocolate, or do you have to make it?

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 6:00am
post #8 of 8

You can buy it, just google it and you should find some. It isn't cheap, though. I make my own from candy melts.

Comes in both white and dark chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%