I Need Help Determing Cake Box Sizes

Decorating By drewp32 Updated 15 Mar 2012 , 6:59pm by mommytocjnalexis

drewp32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drewp32 Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 2

I'm new to this site, I'm still in the newbie cycle. So please bear with me. icon_smile.gif

I am going to bake some cake and bring them into work on St Patrick's Day. I work at a health care center and there's 80 patients and there's usually 20-25 staff members per shift. With all due respect to my fellow co-workers on other shifts I only plan to bake enough to feed 115 to ensure there's enough as I don't care to bake all day.

Nevertheless I almost have all my supplies, the last thing I need is cake boxes which I can run to get from Michael's.

My question is will two 12x8 cakes fit in 19x14x4 cake box to make a larger cake or should I just make them separately and put them in 12x12 boxes?

Thank you so much for your time and I look forward to picking up more info along the way! icon_smile.gif

1 reply
mommytocjnalexis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommytocjnalexis Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 2

Hey I'm a newbie here myself. So if I read correctly you are making two rectangular cakes that are 12 x 8 is that right? By my calculations that won't yield enough cake for 115 unless you meant 12 x 18. A 12 x 8 cut at 1 x 2 x 3 slices would yield approximately 48 servings so you would be close with 2 but not quite where you want to be. But that's neither here nor there. The box would have to be at least 24 x 16 for two 12 x 8 cakes side by side and not the long ways. But the other thing to factor in is the size of the cake board the cake is on. If you make a 12 x 8 cake you'll need at least an inch all around larger for the cake board size which would require a board that is at least 13 x 9 and a box at least 26 x 18 for two (I'm not sure what standard size boxes come in). My opinion would be to do two smaller cakes if for nothing else but the ease of transport. You'll still want to consider the size of your cake board and pick up a box no smaller than the cake board. If you need to purchase a box that is a few inches larger than your cake then I suggest some no-slip shelf liner under the cake board to keep it in place during transport.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%