You Can't Make This Stuff Up!

Decorating By KarolynAndrea Updated 2 Jun 2012 , 6:57pm by SoFloGuy

KarolynAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarolynAndrea Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 18

I got an email the other day, this is the jist of what it said:
We loved the cake, it was delicious and beautiful. However, on the way to the venue we had to stop suddenly and the cake went flying. The cake was damaged on the front and we did the best we could to fix it up, but I suggest your packaging should be more protective.
I would just like to know everyone's thoughts?!? How would you reply?

17 replies
CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 18

ahahahahahahaha! I don't think there is much you can say to that! I would like to smack them upside the head and say "duh!!!", but I don't think it's appropriate icon_smile.gif I would just say that you are sorry to hear they had difficulty on the way to the venue, and perhaps offer delivery in the future (for a cost). And very tactfully remind them that cake needs to be handeled very delicatly. Short of that, not much you can do.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 18

I'd be curious about their suggestions. Bubble wrap??!! I mean, it was in a box, correct? Does it need a rubber room?
At least they aren't asking for money back.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 18

Didn't they have it in a seat belt? icon_rolleyes.gif

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 18

Carseats for Cakes! Anything over 6" high is required by the baking industary to be "strapped" in...........

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by enchantedcreations

Carseats for Cakes! Anything over 6" high is required by the baking industary to be "strapped" in...........

thumbs_up.gif
My DH would have had his bungee straps and binders out - big time.

KarolynAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarolynAndrea Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 18

My boyfriend told me to fashion some sort of non gravity shell to put around my cakes...lol

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 18

Carseats for cakes is the Cake Safeicon_smile.gif If you haven't seen them check out www.cakesafe.com

They are out of my price range right now because I don't do large cakes like this but if I did wedding cakes regularly this would be my first investmenticon_smile.gif

labelle24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labelle24 Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 6:37pm
post #9 of 18

WOW, honestly, I have been waiting to get an email or a phone call similar to this, because let's face, driving with a cake can be very scary : ) But seriously, how on EARTH can they hold you in any way responsible for that?

For cakes over $100, I make them sign a contract when they leave the deposit that states (basically) that I am not liable for any damage to the cake once it leaves my facilities. Unfortunately that won't help you here and now. I agree with CalhounsCakery, I would just say that you are sorry to hear they had difficulty on the way to the venue, and explain that delivery is available for any order starting at $XX. You wish there was more you could do, but cake are very fragile and beyond putting them in a box and driving VERY carefully, there isn't much else you can do as far as securing them for travel

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 18

This is always a worry of mine, I insist that the cake goes into the boot of the car bc that is the flattest area. I also tell people to drive slowly, although I had someone this past week pick up a cake on a motor bike that he wanted to place in between his feet! I told him that it wasn't possible and thankfully he had a rather large "case" on the back that he cleaned out for me to place the cake in - gently!

res3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
res3boys Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 1:36am
post #11 of 18

People are so funny! Why to they always like to blame something?? If you bought a dress for $100 and got it caught and tore a hole in it on the way to a party would you email the designer and say the material should be more sturdy? I think not!
I would just say once they take ownership of the cake its out of your hands literally. And that cakes are very delicate and require care upon a delivery while driving and in the future a delivery to venue may be best. icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 1:53am
post #12 of 18

Dear client,

I'm so glad that you liked the cake. I'm also sorry that your lack of driving skills resulted in damage to it.

I do offer a special type of packaging that would incur an extra charge. The next time you feel that you might be driving like an idiot on the way to a party with a cake in the car, you could pay for the special protective anti-gravity box. It comes with a highly specialized wrap that surrounds the cake with a force field and will prevent it from being thrown around in the case of you slamming on your brakes. I might also suggest the special time-shifter that I also offer. This does incur a substantial additional cost, but it will allow you to travel back to a time when the cake was sitting safely in your car before you decided to test the laws of physics.

Please let me know if you'd like to purchase either of these options the next time you buy a cake from me. You might also want to use the time-shifter to return to your driver's ed class in high school to learn how to pace yourself in traffic better and learn how to not have to slam those brakes on so hard.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 6:10am
post #13 of 18

costumeczar, you're a scream! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 8:32am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter

costumeczar, you're a scream! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Another option for this client: a teleport.

Doesn't even have to drive.

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 10:13am
post #15 of 18

So what I would like to know is when do these people think the responsibility of the cake becomes theirs?
With that kind of logic they will try to blame you if they drop the cake between cutting and putting in their mouths because you know you should have not only made it look and taste fantastic and ensure that they got it to the venue in one piece regardless of how good or bad their and other road usres drivers skills are but you would also have to ensure they are able to hold onto it properly , that it would have grippability in case someone with rhuematics or too much booze is unable to navigate it to their mouths properly .
Sorry I am being facetious I know but for goodness sake surely most people with half a brain cell would know that cake+ car+ sharp braking= disaster without paying an amount over the price of cake to cover for the caker to deliver or failing that for a force shield of some description on the lines of costumecszarrs icon_rolleyes.gif

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 20 Mar 2012 , 8:35pm
post #16 of 18

I have a solution. A pretty cheap on we can all afford.
Hand over the cake and walk them out to the car.
Use some duct tape to tape a cup 3/4th full of water to their dash board.
"This is your cake-protection devise. If you stop suddenly or turn sharply the water will spill and it's going to be a mess and so will your cake. Drive safely!" icon_wink.gif

mommachris

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 21 Mar 2012 , 2:15am
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommachris

I have a solution. A pretty cheap on we can all afford.
Hand over the cake and walk them out to the car.
Use some duct tape to tape a cup 3/4th full of water to their dash board.
"This is your cake-protection devise. If you stop suddenly or turn sharply the water will spill and it's going to be a mess and so will your cake. Drive safely!" icon_wink.gif

mommachris

I think that would work just fine! thumbs_up.gif

SoFloGuy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoFloGuy Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 6:57pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarolynAndrea

I got an email the other day, this is the jist of what it said:
We loved the cake, it was delicious and beautiful. However, on the way to the venue we had to stop suddenly and the cake went flying. The cake was damaged on the front and we did the best we could to fix it up, but I suggest your packaging should be more protective.
I would just like to know everyone's thoughts?!? How would you reply?

I wouldn't reply because If I did it would be in anger. If I felt a little empathy I would tell them to not follow another car so closely that they are forced to stop short. Tell them to drive home as if they have a day old newborn baby in the car and take side streets with a 25 mile per hour speed limit. If a cake goes flying it's the drivers fault, but some people never want to take responsibilities for their actions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%