Help! First Big Cake For 100+ People & First Post!

Decorating By Francy_Cakes Updated 14 Mar 2012 , 8:32pm by Francy_Cakes

Francy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Francy_Cakes Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 5

Good morning!

I'm making a two tier cake for my bosses retirement party on Friday. I used the WASC recipe that was posted here and I plan on covering the cake in fondant.

I made the cakes ahead of time and froze them. However, I think I really screwed up. I was in a hurry it was late and I was tired I wrapped the cakes before fully chilled. I think they sat in the fridge for at most 30 minutes? Now they are frozen.

How much damage do you think was done to the cake? Should I make a new tiers? It's a 12' bottom and 8' inch top. It's assumed that not everyone will eat cake so I was instructed to make a cake for 50 ish people.

When do you think I should pull the cakes out to thaw? I know to thaw in the wrappers but anything else I should be aware of?

It's also my first time using Fondant. How far in advance can I begin that adventure? I'm assuming I can't store it in the fridge due to condensation?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

4 replies
CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 5

They should still thaw out fine. I've thrown mine in the freezer a little too soon with no bad results. Just pull them out and have them come to room temperature before you unwrap and begin. As I work on most of my cakes in the evening, I will pull any frozen cakes the morning of, and fill and ice that night.

Fondant cakes do not need to be refirgerated, just keep it covered to protect from dust and such. If you do have a perishable filling, you can put it in the fridge, just don't touch the cake while it's coming back to room temp. Any condensation will evaporate.

I will bake one day, fill and ice the next, decorate the next, deliver the next. So my cakes are our for 4 days. (I only freeze if its a large cake that I can't bake all in one night) And they always stay nice and fresh. As you have a mix base, yours should stay nice and fresh as well.

Good luck and have fun!

Francy_Cakes Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 5

CalhounsCakery thank you for replying!

The party is 4:30 PM on Friday. I have to work that morning so I'll begin the night before, I'm super nervous!

Do you think a chocolate ganache filling is OK if left out or do I need to worry about it seeping out the sides? So assuming I pull the cake out tomorrow around noon, I'll come home around 4:30 assemble and let sit all should be fine for 24 hours?

Thanks again!

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 5

If your just doing a regular ganache filling, use a buttercream damn (it can be a little runny). If you thicken it up really well, it will hold fine. I usually whip it with my wisk attachment until it's fluffy and creamy. Kinda like a mousse, and it stays put just fine. If you pull, thaw and decorate tomorrow, you'll be fine until Friday.

Francy_Cakes Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you very much CalhounsCakery!

I appreciate the advice. =)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%