Rbi Dummy Cake??

Decorating By CakeEvolution Updated 14 Mar 2012 , 8:13pm by CakeEvolution

CakeEvolution Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEvolution Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 6

Okay.......So I was sent a picture of a cake to recreate as a dummy (ONLY top tier actual cake). Bride is trying to cut cost. When the pic came across my phone I was stunned. I do believe this is a Ron Ben-Israel Cake. I told my friend this cake is easily 5k if not more (depending on actual serving size).
http://www.instyle.com/instyle/package/general/photos/0,,20351917_20349466_20752634,00.html

How much do you think the cake cost?
How much would you charge to basically recreate as a dummy? or Would you even do it?
I've already mentioned that I will not even consider it unless I will also be providing the sheet/kitchen cake as well.

I am just trying to make sure that I am on the right track...lol. I will offer her fake jewels vs edible to help cut cost.

Thanks

5 replies
pbuder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbuder Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 6

I am a noob so this may be a dumb question but does it take less time to decorate a dummy then a real cake? If it doesn't, wouldn't the only discount be in the price difference between a styrofoam dummy (if it is not returned for re-use) and the cost of the cake itself. Then again, if you are cooking a sheet cake as well that would be added cost, not a saving. Or am I missing something?

labelle24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labelle24 Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 6

well the nice thing about a dummy cake is that you can work on it over time, since nothing is going to spoil. And to be frank, this cake really wouldn't be all that time consuming if you were to use fake jewels (as opposed to making your own). I would say, add up all you costs of materials, and double it for your time. Plus the normal cost of your sheet cakes.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 6

This is at the very least a 6-8-10-12-14 which would be 208 servings. Depending on your price/serving, it would be up there just for the cake. The decorating is another matter entirely. Since most bakers charge 75% +/- for dummies, your bride isn't going to be saving a lot - - especially if she's having kitchen cakes as well.

You might want to *gently* give your bride a reality check - - your quote should do that nicely.

pbuder - - no, you're not missing anything. The majority of the cost will be in the decorating. The only advantage in decorating a dummy is that you can take your time and start waaayyy early.

CakeEvolution Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone... I agree. I was thinking of offering 30% discount b/c its a dummy. I explained to them that its the TIME not the actual CAKE/BAKING that drives the price of this cake. That was the point when fake gems were mentioned.... we shall see.

People think dummy cakes are CHEAPER than the real thing....uh NO!! lol

CakeEvolution Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 8:13pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone... I agree. I was thinking of offering 30% discount b/c its a dummy. I explained to them that its the TIME not the actual CAKE/BAKING that drives the price of this cake. That was the point when fake gems were mentioned.... we shall see.

People think dummy cakes are CHEAPER than the real thing....uh NO!! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%