Last Minute Booking Trend?

Decorating By cakelady2266 Updated 15 Mar 2012 , 5:10am by FromScratchSF

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 4:55am
post #1 of 17

I'm not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth but this is a little weird. I didn't have a wedding scheduled for this year until March 24th. I've done 4 weddings this year that weren't on the book until 3 weeks or less before the event. Two of these weddings were for 200 plus servings and not just spur of the moment things. They didn't have decorators who fell ill or anything, they simply hadn't looked for one.

In all the years I've been doing this nobody waits this late to order a cake. I book weddings sometimes a year or more in advance. Three months would have been considered cutting it close. I just scheduling a meeting for an April 7th wedding.

So if this is to be a trend it worries me a little. I do party cakes on weekends I don't have weddings but I won't accept a party cake if I have a wedding scheduled. I sure don't want to turn down a wedding because I have a couple $50 birthday cakes.

I'm glad to have the work, tickled to be exact and I don't mean to sound like an ingrate. But I am little confused. Is this happening to any of you?

16 replies
LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 5:05am
post #2 of 17

I had one bride that contacted me the middle of January for her wedding this past weekend, March 10. She had 400 guests and hadn't even looked at cakes or catering! I gave her an estimate, but she ended up going with someone who just did it for cost. Whatever!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 5:13am
post #3 of 17

There was a wedding magazine or advice column or something of that ilk about a year ago that advised brides to wait until the last minute to book a cake. The reasoning was that the baker would need to bake it fresh and because the baker would be sooo grateful to get the work, s/he might be more inclined to negotiate on price.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 6:04am
post #4 of 17

That's ridiculous as bakers are more than likely to be busy if something is booked last minute.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

There was a wedding magazine or advice column or something of that ilk about a year ago that advised brides to wait until the last minute to book a cake. The reasoning was that the baker would need to bake it fresh and because the baker would be sooo grateful to get the work, s/he might be more inclined to negotiate on price.

Must have been written by the same person who advised farmers' market shoppers to go shopping near the end of market hours. The bakery vendors will have soon-to-be day old products so shoppers can get these items half price.

thumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thumbs Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 2:03pm
post #6 of 17

That is crazy!! Personally I always add a bit extra if is a last minute cake. As now I am rushed to get everything done and may have to pay more for products I could have received cheaper in advance. So it's not saving money at all, but risking not getting the cake they want.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 2:23pm
post #7 of 17

That bit of stupidity was in a few bridal articles. Last minute gets them charged a lot more.

pieceofcaketx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceofcaketx Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 4:05pm
post #8 of 17

I do very few wedding cakes but I have seen this happening with other cakes as well.
If I'm booked I'm booked, no amount of rush fee or begging is going to change that.
However it is not uncommon to have some one change the date of a b-day party so that I can make the cake, ultimate ego boost right there!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 4:35pm
post #9 of 17

Like the previous poster, I tend to do more birthday/anniversary etc type cakes, rather than wedding cakes.

But I'm finding that these are being booked with much, much shorter notice than they used to be.

I put it down to the fact that people might be thinking that they couldn't afford a cake, but then, last minute, found the money to do so?

But whatever the reason, yes, I'm finding it's happening, too (and I'm in the UK)

Suzanne x

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 9:42pm
post #10 of 17

I don't doubt that some wedding magazine put this idea in their heads. I haven't had anybody ask for a discount or try to negotiate prices yet. But it seems like wedding suicide to wait around in hopes you could get it cheaper because the baker wasn't booked. Cutting it any closer would certainly be an up charge if anything.

I watched one of those crazy wedding shows before where brides would whine, complain, insult or intimidate a vendor trying to get a discount or done for free. Cause I know I'm the type person that would just pay some entitled heifer to take one of my substandard cakes of my hands.

I've said it before and I mean no disrespect, but I think people get the wrong idea from the cake shows. They whip out masterpieces in 30 minutes and maybe customers think it only takes that long. Albeit those 30 minute shows are filmed over days and weeks, I'm not sure everybody realizes that.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 11:19pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Oh good grief! icon_rolleyes.gif

Who is writing these bridal mag articles???
I read one today that said to choose a square cake because square tiers are more servings for the same price, so ultimately cheaper than rounds. I don't know about other bakers, but we charge by the serving, so they are certainly not getting free cake because they choose square!!

To answer the OP's question, we are definitely noticing that trend as well!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 11:26pm
post #12 of 17

"some entitled heifer "

ROTFLMAO!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 11:28pm
post #13 of 17

Over in New England, if we get a last minute cake order it's generally because someone's aunt or mother finally figured out that she really can't make a whole wedding cake all by herself - panic sets in and a proper baker is contacted. After all they make it look so easy on TV???????

mistresslucille Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistresslucille Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 1:42am
post #14 of 17

Magazines SERIOUSLY advise that people should wait until the last minute "because it will have to be made fresh"? Do they really, truly think that if you book a cake four months in advance then the baker is going to just make it whenever they feel like it and leave it sitting around?!

And the 'it's cheaper for square cakes' thing (as you've all said!) is just bizarre! Presumably whoever wrote that has never actually bought a cake...

BlueRose8302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueRose8302 Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 2:38am
post #15 of 17

I had a bride tell me that square cakes have more servings. I know I must have had a weird look on my face. I said, no, larger cakes have more servings and I charge by the serving. She tried to argue for a minute until I just asked her what she really wanted. Luckily, she dropped it.

These magazines! Who do they think the bakers are??

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 3:36am
post #16 of 17

Yep, noticed that, keep getting phone calls for weddings in April...nuts! Some brides got quite testy with me when I told them I'm booked. Sounded like that they did indeed expected me to be happy and grateful for the privilege of making their cake.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 15 Mar 2012 , 5:10am
post #17 of 17

I do get the calls from people wanting last minute giganto cakes for nuthin, but I'm quite thankful for the last minute people - I spent almost all of last year being pregnant so that means I didn't book out my spring calender like I need it to be - then all of a sudden I booked 2 weddings for April, filled my calender for May, and have 3 possibles for June. No discounts, just people that saved the cake for the last thing they ordered. So happy dance here icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%