How To Dust Flowers

Decorating By Jennifer353 Updated 16 Mar 2012 , 4:53pm by Jennifer353

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 6

Stupid question but when you make white flowers (roses) how do you dust them with petal dust to make them coloured? I have only done trims around the edges before with a small brush and it was extremely slow. How should I do it for just to colour the edge bit, and more imminent a question for me how are you supposed to go about brushing the whole flower with colour?

Thank you for any help, I want to make roses for my Mum's birthday cake in a couple of weeks.

5 replies
Jennifer353 Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 6

Nobody? I thought this was a popular way of colouring flowers but perhaps I need to just colour the flower paste before I make the flowers?

Thank you.

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 6

I just make the flowers the color I want them, then lightly dry brush a lighter/darker version of the color on the edges (roses) to give them more depth. I personally wouldn't want to make a bunch of flowers white, then have to turn around and brush color on all of them. icon_smile.gif

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 6

I like to make the flower a slight shade lighter than what I want. Often I dust before they are fully dry, and then reapply dust after drying for a deeper effect. (Incidentally, I only use gum paste, not fondant.) Details are sometimes added with a fine paintbrush dipped in vodka/paste or gel solution and then the whole thing is steamed to set the color.
I hope this helps you. Dusting really is the key to getting a realistic flower.

Jan

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 14 Mar 2012 , 12:07am
post #5 of 6

I think that when you see people making all white flowers to keep on hand and then color that they are using an airbrush. I just make the paste the color of the flower and accent with dust.... what I wouldn't give for an airbrush.

Jennifer353 Posted 16 Mar 2012 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you very much! I had thought "everyone but me" dusted them afterwards but obviously what I'm doing colouring before and sometimes adding dust afterwards is not wrong! Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%