Icing Or Frosting For A Tres Leche Cake

Baking By Sunshine0063 Updated 12 Mar 2012 , 8:26am by sweettreat101

Sunshine0063 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine0063 Posted 11 Mar 2012 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 6

I have a request for a tres leche cake but I've never had one so I was wondering if any one that is familiar with the cake could suggest a frosting that I could decorate with that wouldn't be to overpowering for the cake.

Thank you so much for any help and suggestions

5 replies
Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 11 Mar 2012 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 6

I made tres leche cupcakes recently and I just used buttercream mixed with tres leche syrup for the filling. Then I just used plain buttercream on the top. It was good. If you don't want to mix it I'm sure you could just get the caramel loran flavoiring and add it to the buttercream. I hope that helps

Olivia02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Olivia02 Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 1:25am
post #3 of 6

Tres Leches Cake is usually covered with whipped topping. IMO if u use buttecream it will take from the cake but some make like it. You want to make sure you can taste the leches in the cake.
HTH icon_biggrin.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 3:07am
post #4 of 6

I use SMBC for mine, nice and light. Traditionally it's whipped cram, I think, but that limits your decoration options.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 3:18am
post #5 of 6

i have normally had them with a whipped cream topping. But I think that SMBC or IMBC with a very light flavor would be a good option. I think that an ABC would be too sweet.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 8:26am
post #6 of 6

I make them quite often. I use Frostin Pride non dairy frosting or Buttercream. I was planning on trying Swiss Meringue buttercream for one tomorrow. Tres Leches is three milks it doesn't have caramel added to it. You could add it if you wanted to but a traditional tres leches has the three milks, whipped cream frosting and topped with fresh fruit. The lady that orders them from me likes a tres leches that's not soggy with a vanilla mousse filling and butter cream frosting. I also add a little coconut extract or coconut candy oil to the milks. The first time I did this her mother told her that I did something to make the cake special so I have stuck with using coconut flavoring.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%