Giant Cupcake Take One, A Bit Of A Disaster

Baking By annette1011 Updated 12 Mar 2012 , 8:15pm by annette1011

annette1011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annette1011 Posted 11 Mar 2012 , 7:10pm
post #1 of 8

Hello everyone,
My name is Annette and after reading and watching lots of tutorials I have tried my first giant cupcake.
I wanted to make a nice looking one for mothers day next weekend...

I first started with a chocolate shell, it kind of worked so I think if I melt it down and try again I might have a chance there.

I then made the cake, which kind of sank and it looks a bit sad.
Does anyone have tips how to make a cake that size?
From what I read it happens that the cake isn't a success.
I thought if I get the shell to work ok I can hide the sad looking cake.

I then made icing which i made too loose so I don't know what to do with it now...

So a bit of a disaster really, but my 6 year old think it's taste delicious so it's ok.

Would appriciate any advice

Annette

7 replies
funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 5:43am
post #2 of 8

Hi ,
Are you using the giant cupcake pan?
I'm not sure what you mean about your cake not turning out. I just made 2 for the second time. My first one I put batter in both sides of the cupcake pan and it took forever to bake then sunk. I read on there that ppl were saying only bake one side at a time because the bottom of the cupcake takes longer. So try that.
I made the bottom choc shell and actually it was very easy. Look in the tutorials sections on top of page . It's great for the choc shell
What is your frosting recipe?
Maybe you just need to add more powedered sugar.

hope it helps.

Wendy

annette1011 Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 10:05am
post #3 of 8

thank you for your reply.
You live and learn...

I took the cake to work and nobody noticed it's flaws so it ended up ok.
I couldnt pipe it but I kept it in the fridge over night and I just put it on and put some sprinkes on.
Sprinkles saved the day...

After some reading yesterday I think I put too nucg baking powder in.
I didn't know that if I do that it might collapse the whole cake, I just put some extra for good measure, that was a mistake.

Yes I used the giant cupcake mould, the silicone one though.

I did have a look at the chocolate shell tutorial and that's what i tried to do, but I found it difficult becuase my melted chocolate was so fluid it kind of went to the bottom amd the top was very thin.

Thursday I am trying the chocolate shell again.
£10 is at stake here icon_wink.gif I am in a bet that if I will get it out in piece I will get £10!
People of little faith, Of course I will.

Can you remelt chocoalte several times?

MollyHammond Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MollyHammond Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 10:45am
post #4 of 8

Try putting the shell in the freezer a few minutes before you take it out of the mold. this really helps when I unmold chocolate! I know you will win your bet icon_biggrin.gif

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 8

when I did mine, the choc is of course very runny. Just take your fingers and pull the choc up the sides of the cupcake pan. It starts to cool and dry very quickly so it stays in place, so moving pretty quick to spread it out is the best. Just keep pulling it from the base just make sure and leave enough in the bottom to support the cake. This is a thin layer by the way. Then put in freezer or frig for a bit. Then do it again and work fast after pouring the choc in the base for the second time. I had dried choc on my fingers when I was done. Put back in frig again. I shaved off all the ridges of the cake so it would fit into the shell . It doesn't quite fit once you've built it up with choc. Mine came out of pan without a problem . You can look in my photos and see the 2 I just finished.
Let me know how it turns out. good luck

Wendy icon_smile.gif

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 8

Hi Annette, I am a little confused here. Mother's Day is in May, not March. When do you need the cake for?

Susan

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 8

I made one last weekend, I have the metal pan. I would recommend putting your silicone pan in the fridge to make it cold when you start. Then do the chocolate in two parts, first a thin coat, just to cover everything, then fridge. Then a thicker coat, this one should stick to sides better, then freeze for 10 min. It should slide right out- I was very impressed when mine did icon_wink.gif.
You can remelt the chocolate several times, and I used 3 4inch cakes for the bottom, trimmed the bottom two to fit in my shell. I only used my pan to make the shell and bake the top.

What chocolate are you using to melt down? I used candy melts, worked great.
Also if your icing is runny, you can refrigerate until firm enough to pipe with it.

annette1011 Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 8

thank you very much for all the tips.
I will feed the family freezer food this week because there is no way the mould will fit in the freezer.

I am in UK so the Mothers day is on Sunday.

thanks again.

I find it so amazing that you can just jump on the internet and find out how to make amazing cake like that..
with pictures explanations and even personal tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%