Can I Freeze These Three Cakes One Week In Advance

Decorating By TBEANZ Updated 12 Mar 2012 , 12:27am by cakelady2266

TBEANZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TBEANZ Posted 11 Mar 2012 , 5:21am
post #1 of 8

Hi there guys,

So i am still kinda new at this cake decorating thing and still come across things i just dont know the answer to, so thats where you guys come in.

So i have two wedding cakes i making for friends at the end of this month and thought maybe i could bake ahead and save some time & stress.

Is it possible to freeze a chocolate mud cake (real chocolate in mixture), lemon pound cake and a bananan cake? also once defrosted will they still have to same yum and moist factor that they did on the day i baked them. Also what would be the correct way to wrap these cakes to hold in all the yummyness and moistness.

I was thinking of baking one week ahead of time.

Thanks again, i appreciate your feedback.

Tina.

7 replies
molly_36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
molly_36 Posted 11 Mar 2012 , 5:43am
post #2 of 8

You can double wrap the cakes in plastic wrap, then 2 layers of foil. They'll be fine and taste just as good! thumbs_up.gif

TBEANZ Posted 11 Mar 2012 , 7:00am
post #3 of 8

Thanks loads for that Molly, I'm glad i dont have to bake my butt off for two days straight and can space it out a little icon_smile.gif

jaime01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaime01 Posted 11 Mar 2012 , 9:55am
post #4 of 8

I always freeze my cakes if im busy or have lack of time. My partner taste tested them before and after and thought they were better after. they are also way easier to carve and handle as well. I would deff wrap them in plastic wrap well with double layers and then tin foil.
icon_smile.gif

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 11 Mar 2012 , 12:14pm
post #5 of 8

I think i saw this sometime ago.... that when you defrost yr cakes, which i hear takes an hour or so you should keep the wrapping on till its defrosted. i wonder whether its better to defrost in the fridge or on the bench. ....any one who knows out there??

Sgp003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sgp003 Posted 11 Mar 2012 , 3:12pm
post #6 of 8

Yes I wouldn't get half the stuff done if it wasn't possible to freeze them, defiantly do as others suggested and wrap in plastic then tinfoil, and keep them wrapped til they thaw out. Nobody will ever know they were frozen!!

TBEANZ Posted 11 Mar 2012 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 8

Hey there,

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 12:27am
post #8 of 8

Wrap them up well, use plastic food safe bags. And I'll let you in on a little secret, don't let the cake thaw first. Ice them frozen. They ice better and they are moister. After icing cakes frozen let them thaw before decorating, ganaching, or put fondant on.

I swear by this. I do all my cakes this way. I have a bakery and been doing cakes 23 years.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%