Can I Use Separater Plates?

Decorating By EvMarie Updated 11 Mar 2012 , 3:12am by EvMarie

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 11 Mar 2012 , 1:59am
post #1 of 3

I need to make a 3 tier stacked cake. The tiers will be directly on top of one another. Can I still use the plastic wilton pillars & separator plates successfully? Or, is it always recommended to use cake circles/foam board & dowels?

What's your opinion?

2 replies
Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 11 Mar 2012 , 2:14am
post #2 of 3

I used a plate and pillars in the bottom tier of a three tier cake today. I just felt more secure having the top two tiers on that nice steady base. I used cake circles and bubble tea straws in the middle tier to support the top, went ahead and stacked them and transported them like that. Then when I got to the venue, I just set the top two tiers (already stacked) on top of the cake plate set in the bottom tier, piped a border and I was done! EASY!

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 11 Mar 2012 , 3:12am
post #3 of 3

That makes sense. I don't know the other flavors but I know one tier is to be pumpkin cake with cream cheese filling. So, I guess the weight of the cake would dictate whether I choose a separator plate or cake circle. Paying attention to cake & plate size, I should be able to cover the edge of the plate nicely. I will be using leaves as a border. It's a Fall theme.

I think I get it. Just nervous. Thanks for responding. I have something to go by now. I appreciate it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%