How Do I Price Cakes?

Decorating By TakestheCake73 Updated 11 Mar 2012 , 9:56pm by Karema

TakestheCake73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TakestheCake73 Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 4

I am currently doing cakes out of my kitchen, I do not own a bakery nor have I ever. Friends keep asking for cakes, but expect the priceto be the same as the local grocery store. How do I price my cakes? Please help. icon_sad.gif

3 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 4

Personally, I think you have to look at these factors. How much $$$ did it cost you to make the cake? How many hours did it take? How much per hour do you want to get paid? I also think it's important to look at your area. What are others charging for a similar cake? Is your skill level the same as there's? All of these things factor in.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 4

Let your friends know you can't compete with the grocery store. I don't know your situation so I won't preach to you about selling cakes..

In my cake decorating course I give 1 class in business, primarily because many have so many more questions than just how much. I do teach pricing and this has been the easiest way for them to understand. There is a more complicated way if you want pm me and I will give you that info as well;

Take the cost of all your ingrediants and multiply x 3. You will quickly see that by this method you couldn't possibly give anyboy a cake for $6.00 - $7.00.

HTH

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 11 Mar 2012 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 4

You should never want to sell your cakes for a cheap as the supermarkets. Because you can't offer sometiing that cheap. I would invest in Cakeboss software it has really helped me. Add up the cost of your ingrediants so if a cake cost you $10 to make add in the cost of your boards, and what ever other supplies you use, So that may be about $15 then multiply it by 3 if you want so that would be $45 than add some more on bc you will still be undercharging icon_biggrin.gif LOL I know it sounds like a lot but look at other bakeries in your area and I mean the upscale ones and then find a happy medium. Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%