Friday Night Cake Club 3/9/12

Decorating By catlharper Updated 10 Mar 2012 , 7:05pm by catlharper

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 4:16am
post #1 of 18

Opening up this week's FNCC! Who's up? Whatcha' workin' on?

Cat

17 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 4:28am
post #2 of 18

I'm still up dong cupcakes for an event tomorrow. Mostly done, though.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 4:29am
post #3 of 18

I'm trying to learn how to wrap wire with floral tape. I can't get it to wrap evenly. Any tips?

catlharper Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 4:37am
post #4 of 18

Hi everyone!

It's been quite the week on my front. I started out the week with a baby shower, I posted the photo of the cake in my albums, and ended it with a Dinner Party Cupcake order! In between I got majorly ill, helped an ill daughter, battled with my son's lazy jerk of a teacher (was one of 10 there). So it's been quite the week indeed.

This upcoming week I don't have any orders. That's on purpose with St. Patrick's Day next Saturday, which also ends up being Opening Day for my son's little league. I will be working on a demo cake tho' for an upcoming blog so I'll be able to post photos this upcoming week of that project.

How about all of you? What's been happening, what's coming up?

Cat

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 4:43am
post #5 of 18

HI, this is a great video on youtube show you how. hth This is exactly how i do it ,but hold wire in left hand and pull tape with right. Hold tape at an angle, ( as she shows) pull tight and each one will get better and better. you don,t want a lot of tape built up on the wire.

cheatize Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 4:49am
post #6 of 18

I watched that video before I posted. I like how it shows the angle to use when starting to tape.

I just wrapped a pencil and it went fine. I've got short, stubby fingers and I'm nearsighted so I thought perhaps working my way down in size would help and that it might help me to see what I'm doing if I started big.

Next, I moved down to 20 gauge craft wire and I failed again. At the moment, I'm cutting the tape so it's not as wide to see if that helps me.

Try, try again, right?

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 5:00am
post #7 of 18

Just finished baking my two layers for my cake order for tomorrow. It's my signature cake: Triple choclate fudge caramel toffee chip cake aka Life by Chocolate. I've got the base for the chocolate flour frosting cooling in the fridge for tomorrow.

catlharper Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 5:02am
post #8 of 18

Leah, how many cupcakes? I always feel that the downside of cupcakes (have to be made really close to delivery in order to be fresh) never quite outweighs the plus of having ready to eat pieces.

Oh, and I see you guys have met my personal nemesis..floral tape! As an event coordinator and a caker I have to deal with this stuff on a weekly basis and I don't play well with it and it doesn't play well with me! UGH! Fortunately this is one of the weeks when I don't have to deal with it and I'm grateful! LOL!

Cat

cheatize Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 5:06am
post #9 of 18

Ooh, ooh! I may be onto something. This could be a right-handed, left-handed thing. I started the tape differently as it seemed like the way it was overlapping was suited for wrapping for the other end. You know, the angle was all wrong. I've got 5 inches of good wrap so far.

catlharper Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 5:34am
post #10 of 18

You know what??? You could be right! I am ambidextrous...maybe I'm wrapping with the wrong hand!!! I'll give that a try next time I need to do this!

Cat

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 5:48am
post #11 of 18

omg! i just started taking class 4 for wilton and we got a GREAT tip from someone that actually did floral design...instead of wrapping it at an angel, she actually wrapped the floral tap almost parallel with the wire! and it's always better to stretch out the floral tape first to find that sticky side. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

I got nadda until the end of the month for cakes...kinda glad icon_smile.gif

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 6:19am
post #12 of 18

My first career I was a floral designer... I hate all that hand work, but another tip is hold the tape close to the wire. If its too far away and pulled too tightly it will snap and break.

Anyway, all my work was for order during the week, this week. I do have a small Sonic the Hedgehog cake for sunday and a birthday cake for my daughter on Monday.

But next week I have several large orders so enjoying the weekend. I will be working on fondant flowers in my spare time.

catlharper Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 6:33am
post #13 of 18

Oh my gosh, Spooky, that sounds simply AMAZING!

No cake for us this weekend...my boys are already complaining<G>

Cat

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 6:45am
post #14 of 18

Finally finished a 2 tier chocolate cake with chocolate ganache/buttercream frosting, covered in fondant using a video game called Fallout, with a character called Vault boy, for my youngest grandson's birthday party tomorrow. Also finished a 3 tier Hello Kitty cake with tie dye vanilla cake and chocolate cake for my great-granddaughter's birthday party also being held tomorrow. Actually, it is 1 party for both of themicon_smile.gif

I am sooooo tired physically but my mind is still going... Guess it Is time to turn on the electric blanket and get warm and into bed, or I won't make it to the party tomorrow with the cakes...lol. Will post pictures later this weekend.

catlharper Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 6:53am
post #15 of 18

I have no idea what Fallout is but I'm sure my guys would<G> and I do know who Hello Kitty is! Sounds like a LOT of work but when it's family it's always worth it!

I, too, am about to go crawl into bed. The good news is that I get to sleep in!! YEA! The bad news is that I'm my son's little league team mom so I have to get all sorts of paperwork done in the morning before practice so the juggling act continues in the morning!LOL!

Have a great week everyone!

Cat

kjohn20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjohn20 Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 8:08am
post #16 of 18

Im making a birthday cake it has to have a business logo on it, feed 50 people and there is a long list of names I need to put on it...I dont even know where to begin!! How do you guys place names when a client wants so many on the cake?

cheatize Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 1:15pm
post #17 of 18

Kjohn20- I would map it out on a piece of paper first. That way I could change placement as many times as I needed to without scraping anything off the cake.

Thanks for all the tape advice! When I taped the pencil, I did notice that the only places I overlapped the tape were at the beginning and the end. I'll be back at it again some time today.

Safe deliveries everyone!

catlharper Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 7:05pm
post #18 of 18

I have to do the "many names on a cake" thing at least once a year for my son's little league end of season cake. I would give you the same advice...map it out on paper first, then put it onto the cake. Hope it all goes very well!

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%