Made A List,can Someone Review It Please?

Business By arodbabe20 Updated 11 Mar 2012 , 9:09pm by arodbabe20

arodbabe20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arodbabe20 Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 10

I have made a list of supplies that I may need to start making and decorating cakes. I want to start practicing fondant and buttercream decorations so I am not sure what's a good kit to start doing this that is not too expensive. Either way,these are the basic things I believe I need and if you guys can add or subtract what's needed or not please,I would reallllly appreciate it.

Here it is:
Stand mixer(or hand mixer,not sure yet)
Baking pans (I'm thinking 9 inch round and square to start)
Cake smoother
Rolling pin(for the fondant)
Measuring cups and spoons
Spatula
Wilton 50 piece or 101 piece decorating set(I think it's not for fondant decorations so not sure if I'll spend $90 if it's limited to just buttercream)
And some cutout shapes for the fondant.

These are just supplies,ingredients aren't really concerning me right now.Please give me some advice. I don't know what to do with the decorating part of the supplies?

9 replies
mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 12:44am
post #2 of 10

I would say dont even buy a hand mixer. You will really appreciate a stand mixer. I highly recommend the Kitchenaid but if you cant afford that the Better Home and Garden one from Walmart is good, a friend has one.

You will want atleast 2 sets of whatever pans you choose. I have 2 of every size and 4 8's and 4 6's. I find these are the ones I use the most. I do not offer odd size cakes therefore I have no pans in odd sizes.

You will want a small rolling pin and a large one.

If you haven't taken a class looking into the Wilton classes, they are so beneficial to someone just starting out. It is where I started.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 1:23am
post #3 of 10

I agree with Mindy1204, including her supply additions. I also got my start with a couple of Wilton classes. You will get a better idea of what you need so as not to spend too much in the beginning. There is a ton of basic information that will lead to new avenues. A little basic knowledge and you will be flying in directions you never dreamed!

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 1:27am
post #4 of 10

I would add DON"T spend $100 on the kit. Wait for a week with the one day 50% coupon.
Also, yes it is mainly for buttercream, but it also is aimed at those taking the class. Some of the things are completely unnecessary. Icing tip caps...oh, please. A wet paper towel keeps the royal icing from plugging better than those silly caps.
Spatutlas ... they are metal and come in angled, straight, tapered, and are used to ice the cake. I loved the humongous one because suddenly I could ice the entire top of a sheet cake in on swipe.
A cake level...the one that Wilton sells is actually a piece of wire that pushes through the cake rather than a blade. It's okay for smaller cakes. I used a serrated knife to get it 'started' and also on the edges that are right angles since the wire will rip the cake apart if you just saw through the cake.

I agree with taking the classes if you can. The ladies who teach them are for the most part in it for the love of sharing the art. Lots of them are on this board, too. Wilton hires them to stimulate sales in the cake aisle. My teacher was honest. "If you really think you'll use clown heads a lot in you decorating, then by all means buy them." ( I didn't. icon_lol.gif )
For a real beginner..and I really was when I took the classes...the method is pretty solid and you get to have someone over your shoulder watching your angle and correcting your technique. You really can't get that from Youtube videos.

Keep asking questions and you have found the right sight to learn all the great tricks as well as be inspired by the amazing decorators who share their work.

mommachris

Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 2:00am
post #5 of 10

I personally wouldn't buy a Wilton cake leveller. I've used it and it was awful. Buy yourself a good, extra long cake/bread knife (with a rounded end) to torte your cakes. When you can, invest in an agbay...best invention ever for torting.

You will need icing tips even if you just work with fondant because you often need to do an edge or attach flowers or fondant cutouts to your cake, brush embroidery, etc.

And, if you want to get into making gumpaste flowers that's a whole other pile of equipment.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 2:15am
post #6 of 10

I recommend the fondant/gumpaste tool kit. Or at least a ball tool, which is used to flatten out flower petals.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 4:52am
post #7 of 10

Responses in Italics

Quote:
Originally Posted by arodbabe20

Here it is:
Stand mixer(or hand mixer,not sure yet)

Skip the handmixer and go for the best stand mixer you can afford. A mixer is one of the top 3 most important investments a baker/caker can make. From mixing batter to fondant to meringues, a good mixer can save you a lot of stress.

Baking pans (I'm thinking 9 inch round and square to start)
I would go with even pans: 6,8,10 etc. If you have a Michaels nearby, wait till they have the 50% off coupon and get the pan sets. You can splurge on Magic Line later.

Cake smoother Get 2

Rolling pin(for the fondant) Big and small (for gum paste)

Measuring cups and spoons

Spatula Big and small, straight and offset.

Wilton 50 piece or 101 piece decorating set(I think it's not for fondant decorations so not sure if I'll spend $90 if it's limited to just buttercream)

And some cutout shapes for the fondant.

I would also suggest a turn-table or you could get a lazy suzan from IKEA.

These are just supplies,ingredients aren't really concerning me right now.Please give me some advice. I don't know what to do with the decorating part of the supplies?

arodbabe20 Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 9:31pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks a bunch!!! I am going to start looking into the Wilton classes. I don't want want to spend a whole lot just while learning,you know? I want to know what I'm doing when I actually go and spend hundreds of dollars on kits and such. So I wouldn't need the measuring cups and spoons? just eyeball them? I will be needing the icing bags and tips though.. icon_confused.gif Confusing situation,lol.

cdmolina83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdmolina83 Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 10:01pm
post #9 of 10

Not sure where you are located but I thought I would chime in. I have yet to take any classes, I have 3 children and my niece and nephew, and I am a full-student so not much time for MORE classes! LOL maybe this summer. Anyway. I got a kit from Michaels that is I believe around 60. Anyway. I printed off a 40% off coupon which helped a lot. The kit is basic tools like bags and tips. Also some wilton colors. Also check hobby lobby. They also have a 40% off coupon. I use them a lot. I used one to purchase the turntable. Pans. The wilton ultimate cake leveller (which has bad reviews from some but I love it!). I do agree with investing in a stand mixer. I had one from walmart... in the middle of mixing MMF, the dough hooks busted in half... So I went ahead and bought a Kitchen Aid. Although, I am sure there are others out there that are just as good. OH! I do recommend the Wilton Fondant/Gumpaste toolkit as well. Use a coupon for that too! icon_lol.gif

HTH!

arodbabe20 Posted 11 Mar 2012 , 9:09pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks Molina83. I have to check in Michael's. They are my closest. I'm considering the classes but I don't know if they are a day each or a week. I have to call and check it out. I have been watching alot of tutorials and blogs about baking so I feel confident that I MIGHT not need the classes but,yeah. I'm going to look into the fondant/gumpaste kit. I saw one on ebay but it was plastic and about $8. Are those good?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%