Frosting W/ Granulated Sugar Question!

Baking By mystsparkle Updated 8 Mar 2012 , 9:31pm by jgifford

mystsparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mystsparkle Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 2

Here's my next question: I have this recipe I love...but no where does it really state how long it will last..or how i could store it for what length of time...Any ideas on how i could tell with just the ingriedents? or is it best just to do a trial? Do you think i could just leave it out on the counter for a length of time also? I have some out, its been about a week..I tasted it today, and it taste fine...but does that really mean its fine?! Thanks!

Perfect Cupcake Frosting and Filling

3 T Flour
1/2 C milk (whole milk is best, but I use non-fat when its all I have and its actually fine)
1/2 C real butter (I prefer salted, but you can use also unsalted and add salt to taste)
1/2 C sugar (thats granulated sugar, not powdered sugar)
1 t vanilla extract, or other flavor if you wish.

Whisk together the flour and the milk. Heat in a small sauce pan on medium heat.
Whisk continuously until it starts to thicken. Let it cook, while stirring with a rubber spatula, until you can start to see the bottom of the pan. Continue to cook until mixture has the consistency of pudding.

Put mixture in the fridge and let it cool completely, its fine if it stays in there long enough to get chilly, you just dont want it warm at all. As its cooling, feel free to stir it occasionally to speed up the process and keep it from forming a crust on top.

It an electric stand mixer, beat the butter and the sugar for a minute or two until well combined and fluffy. Youll want to use the whisk attachment on a stand mixer if you have one, instead of the flat paddle. Then while beating, add in the thickened milk mixture and the vanilla. Beat to combine and then scrape down the sides. Mixture will separate and look messy, keep beating! Continue beating until mixture comes together and is light and fluffy, about 7-8 minutes, but time varies. Take a sample of frosting between your fingers; frosting is done when light and fluffy and sugar granules are dissolved.

1 reply
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 2

This is French Buttercream. Like any other frosting, the sugar will act as a preservative. However, since it has milk in it, I would store it in the fridge. Just let it come to room temperature and remix slightly before using. I don't have to worry about frosting going bad at my house. Unless I deliberately freeze it for sampling, it never lasts long enough. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%