Indydebi`s Buttercream

Baking By mommynana Updated 20 Nov 2014 , 9:25am by Tutu930

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 2:20pm
post #1 of 13

I use Indydebi`s buttercream all the time, I`m making a double layer 2" 13x19 cake. there will be fondant on the top of the cake only and strawberry filling in the middle and the buttercream on the sides. Can someone tell me how many of the recipe I`ll need, Thankyou so much.

12 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 13

When I made wedding cakes, I figured 4 bags of sugar for every 7 cake mixes. Two 13x19 cakes would take 6 cake mixes. So allowing for no borders, BC decors, I'd say at least 3 bags of sugar .... maybe (!) 4. Any leftover can be stored for quite a while on your counter, for some weeks in the 'frig and almsot forever in the freezer!

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 13

Thank you so much Indydebi, I just finished a 2 layer cake for work tomorrow, And used your buttercream, Everyone Loves It!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 13

always good to hear! icon_biggrin.gif

amerced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amerced Posted 18 Nov 2014 , 3:31am
post #5 of 13

AHi, how can I get the recipe for the buttercream icing?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Nov 2014 , 3:44am
post #6 of 13

ALook in the recipe section of this site.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 18 Nov 2014 , 6:39am
post #7 of 13

Hi Amerced and welcome to the forum.  When I started here on CakeCentral there was no way I could navigate the recipe forum.  This is the Indydebi recipe I have in my files.  I have used it often.

Based on recommendations from other users of her recipe: 1) I make a double batch so the beaters are totally immersed to avoid air bubbles, 2) I beat the shortening, milk, Dream Whip, and vanilla for 10-15 minutes BEFORE I add the powdered sugar. I refrigerate or freeze leftover icing.

INDYDEBI CRISCO-BASED BUTTERCREAM--(Excellent for hot/humid areas):

(IndyDebi is a very experienced decorator/caterer: http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/)

Single Batch Recipe:

1-1/3 cups Crisco (BETTER: store brand shortening with 3 grams of trans-fats, or BEST, a specialty cake supply product called high-ratio shortening. As of 2010 Crisco no longer contains trans-fats.)

1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed
3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods)
2-3 Tbsp clear vanilla, depending on personal taste (optional: almond extract, or lemon extract )
2 lbs. powdered pure cane sugar

IndyDebi says: “There's no wrong way to mix this. I usually mix all but the powdered sugar & milk for a minute or two, then gradually alternate the sugar & milk, but the only reason I do this is to avoid the "sugar-splash" factor. The longer the mixer runs, the smoother it gets. Sifting the powdered sugar before blending helps with smoothness but is not necessary.”

amerced Posted 18 Nov 2014 , 10:48am
post #8 of 13

A

Original message sent by Apti

Hi Amerced and welcome to the forum.  When I started here on CakeCentral there was no way I could navigate the recipe forum.  This is the Indydebi recipe I have in my files.  I have used it often.

Based on recommendations from other users of her recipe: 1) I make a double batch so the beaters are totally immersed to avoid air bubbles, 2) I beat the shortening, milk, Dream Whip, and vanilla for 10-15 minutes BEFORE I add the powdered sugar. I refrigerate or freeze leftover icing.

[U]INDYDEBI CRISCO-BASED BUTTERCREAM[/U]--(Excellent for hot/humid areas):

(IndyDebi is a very experienced decorator/caterer: [URL=http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/]http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/[/URL])

[I]Single Batch Recipe:[/I]

1-1/3 cups Crisco ([I]BETTER[/I]: store brand shortening with 3 grams of trans-fats, or [I]BEST,[/I] a specialty cake supply product called high-ratio shortening. As of 2010 Crisco no longer contains trans-fats.)

1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed

3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods)

2-3 Tbsp clear vanilla, depending on personal taste (optional: almond extract, or lemon extract )

2 lbs. powdered pure cane sugar

IndyDebi says: “There's no wrong way to mix this. I usually mix all but the powdered sugar & milk for a minute or two, then gradually alternate the sugar & milk, but the only reason I do this is to avoid the "sugar-splash" factor. The longer the mixer runs, the smoother it gets. Sifting the powdered sugar before blending helps with smoothness but is not necessary.”

amerced Posted 18 Nov 2014 , 10:54am
post #9 of 13

AThanks [@]Apti[/@], that's exactly what happened. I believe the site it is not very user friendly-at least, not for beginners! :) thanks again.

Apti Posted 18 Nov 2014 , 8:40pm
post #10 of 13

You're very welcome. 

McCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
McCookies Posted 18 Nov 2014 , 9:22pm
post #11 of 13

About how many cups does one batch make?

Apti Posted 19 Nov 2014 , 5:13am
post #12 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by McCookies 

About how many cups does one batch make?

Don't know.  But--I would assume "not enough".  Since I hobby bake, I'm really lazy about keeping track of what a recipe yields.  Since I love having leftover frosting in the freezer, I always make more than I need and freeze the rest for the next time I bake.  One of the biggest things I struggled with the first 2 years of cake decorating was having enough frosting.   I would always have too little and finally got so sick of making it twice that I now make a LOT extra.  Funny thing....sometimes what I consider a LOT only leaves a little bit leftover.  (Obviously, I need to start paying attention to what a recipe yields at some point.    Nah.... maybe later.)

Tutu930 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tutu930 Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 9:25am
post #13 of 13

AHello, i'm new as well...this site has so much great information that peoplenso graciously share...however, I, too, agree the site is not newbie friendly. I am trying to figurenoutnhown (and where to save this page that Apti was so kind to share the buttercream recipe. I have no idea. But I cant just leave the window open on my phone...and I also wish to know how to follow a person as well...but dont know how to do that either! If anyone can help me enjoy this wonderful site, i'd be grateful. Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%