Cricut Cake Mini On Sale $79.99 Today Only

Decorating By DivaJai Updated 9 Mar 2012 , 10:03pm by QuebecGirl

DivaJai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivaJai Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 6:53am
post #1 of 15

Sorry if this is not the correct place for this post.Anyhow, I just received an email from Jo-Ann that the cricut mini for cakes is on sale for $79.99 today only if anyone is interested and did not receive this email. I am thinking about grabbing it at such a cheap price. icon_smile.gif ETA: I went to the website and it actually is $79.98 lol

14 replies
missmikey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmikey Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 15

You can find a free shipping coupon code online too. Ave the 11.95 shipping fee.

Pam1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pam1976 Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 15

I bought it this morning!! I also used the free shipping code! Can't wait to play!

DivaJai Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 15

Did you guys buy any cartridges? I am about to pay for mine now. I thought about it for a few hours but I've spent more on things that I don't use often... I'm so getting it icon_smile.gif

kelleyskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleyskreations Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 15

I dont have the mini but I will say I got the regular one for Christmas and I love it. Great for lettering on cakes. It has saved me alot of time icon_smile.gif

DivaJai Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleyskreations

I dont have the mini but I will say I got the regular one for Christmas and I love it. Great for lettering on cakes. It has saved me alot of time icon_smile.gif

Kelley what cartridges do you recommend?

kelleyskreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleyskreations Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 6:52pm
post #7 of 15

I use the cake basics and birthday cakes alot. I also have the elegant cakes and holiday cakes and havent used either of those. I do suggest getting the cricut cake tool kit also. It comes in very handy icon_smile.gif There is a learning curve but you just have to keep trying. If you have any other questions let me know. icon_smile.gif

DivaJai Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 7:13pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks for being so helpful Kelley icon_smile.gif I'm sure I'll be inboxing you whenever my package arrives lol.

QuebecGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QuebecGirl Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 7:47pm
post #9 of 15

If you want the cartridges for cheaper, check Amazon.com. They have very good prices on them, from $15-30 compared to 89.99. this is only on a few of them, but it includes all the "cake" dedicated ones.

I wish you loads of fun, I know I love my cricut!

vlmtz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vlmtz Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 8:35pm
post #10 of 15

I also have the regular cricut cake and I really like it. I had to play with it at first to figure out how to get it to cut fondant without it stretching too bad. After lots of online research and trial and error, I found out that if you put your fondant in the freezer for like 5 minutes, after you roll it onto the cutting mat, and then cut it immediately after you take it out of the freezer, it works a lot better and you actually get the shapes that you are looking for instead of some stretched version. Just an FYI. icon_biggrin.gif

DivaJai Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 6:38pm
post #11 of 15

Thanks Quebec Girl and Vlmtz. I found a few on Amazon that I am going to order. Do you guys know if any of the craft stores honor the coupons for the cartridges because I have quite a few for Joann.

missmikey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmikey Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 7:14pm
post #12 of 15

Generally the stores don't let you apply their coupons toward cricut items.

QuebecGirl Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 9:34pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmikey

Generally the stores don't let you apply their coupons toward items.

That is correct. Read the small print, it will specifically say that it does not apply to cricut machines or cartriges. That being said, every once in a while there is a coupon that can be used, or they have a sale where they are about 50% off. Sign up for the newsletter if you haven't already.

huntlilbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
huntlilbel Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 9:52pm
post #14 of 15

just went online (since my birthday is on monday icon_wink.gif ...
they are sold out icon_sad.gif

QuebecGirl Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 10:03pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlmtz

I also have the regular cake and I really like it. I had to play with it at first to figure out how to get it to cut fondant without it stretching too bad. After lots of online research and trial and error, I found out that if you put your fondant in the freezer for like 5 minutes, after you roll it onto the cutting mat, and then cut it immediately after you take it out of the freezer, it works a lot better and you actually get the shapes that you are looking for instead of some stretched version. Just an FYI. icon_biggrin.gif

I started using Wilton fondant and a bit of gum paste or just the Wilton fondant by itself and it works without the freezer step, I get nice clean cuts. I find that attempting to work with MMF is for days where you have lots of time on your hands or desings that are big and not intricate. If you do not let it freeze/harden enough the material will move around with the blade, if it gets too hard it will not stick to the mat anymore.

I have not had the opportunity to try other brands of fondant, my first pail of Satin Ice remains sealed for now.

For fine desings that were cut correctly, I let them dry a bit or I down right freeze them hard before I attempt to move them at all, otherwise you will ruin your delicate design.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%