Sharp, Clean Edges On Cake

Decorating By Bean123 Updated 9 Mar 2012 , 9:59am by Honeybees

Bean123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bean123 Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 7

how do you put fondant on a cake to get nice, sharp edges? mine are always kind of rounded.

6 replies
Krista512 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Krista512 Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 6:09am
post #2 of 7

There is an awesome video on you tube the lady shows. It's all about getting the buttercream on right she does a few thin layers of icing and freeze between each one. I always did one big thick layer and got rounded edges. I have also seen people put walls up of fondant on each side and top and royal icing or buttercream along the seam. Sorry don't know her name search how to smooth buttercream cake. I think that is what I searched.

SRumzis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SRumzis Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 6:20am
post #3 of 7

The sharp edges are most commonly achieved by using ganache under fondant instead of buttercream. Hth

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 6:27am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRumzis

The sharp edges are most commonly achieved by using ganache under fondant instead of buttercream. Hth

Meringue buttercreams. Ganache is making a splash lately, but meringue buttercreams are much more widly used in the US, and you get just as sharp corners.

J

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 11:11am
post #5 of 7

Also the upside down method of icing gives you crisp edges and smooth straight sides before you start covering with fondant. You have to make sure your undercoat is perfect otherwise the fondant will highlight the flaws.

TraceyHorn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TraceyHorn Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 9:39am
post #6 of 7

See this video from "Inspired by Michelle"

. Michelle uses ganache under her fondant but the same principals should apply with buttercream as long as it's reasonable dense.

Honeybees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeybees Posted 9 Mar 2012 , 9:59am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyHorn

See this video from "Inspired by Michelle"

. Michelle uses ganache under her fondant but the same principals should apply with buttercream as long as it's reasonable dense.

I love her videos, great link!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%