Have My First Cake Decorating Interview At Bakery...

Business By redding86 Updated 17 Apr 2012 , 3:04pm by redding86

redding86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redding86 Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 14

Like the subject says, I have an interview Friday morning for my first cake decorating job. I am just hoping to get some pointers or advice from anyone! I have completed a few Wilton classes but mostly what I have been learning has been on my own. I do not have many pictures of my past work so I am scrambling to the cake supply store to purchase a 'cake dummy' and do a few quick cakes to show what I am capable of. I was also thinking on including some sketches a long with the photos (in a nice little portfolio) to bring into my interview. Would it be smart to include my class completion certificates a long in the portfolio or just leave them out entirely? This is for a pretty well known bakery in the next town over and it's basically my dream job, so please, ANY advice would be welcome! In the ad that I responded to, she mentioned that it's a cake decorating assistant job and she wants someone who is punctual and creative, which I think that is definitely me!
Thanks <3

13 replies
TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 14

Did they want pictures? I would think they would have you decorate some cakes there to see your work. I don't think the certificates would hurt but like I said...I bet they will want to see your work first hand. Best of luck to you!!!! I hope you get the job!

redding86 Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 14

Yes, they did ask for pictures. I told her over the phone I have a few but I have two days to make a few cakes and like I mentioned in my post, I will probably decorate 2-3 cakes and bring photos in a nice portfolio a long with sketches for her to see.

NatalieC923 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieC923 Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 14

I think including the certificates at the end would be fine, but I really just wanted to wish you luck!!

redding86 Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 14

Thank you!
<3

SugarplumStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarplumStudio Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 14

I wanted to chime in since I hire bakery personnel all the time.

I'm not overly impressed with big beautiful portfolios. What impresses me are people who show up on time, do the job they were asked to do within the time expected and can work independently as well as part of a team. Basic skills are necessary. Finesse and speed come with experience, which can only be gained by doing.

Present yourself and your skill level truthfully. They'll probably have you decorate a cake during the interview. I look at the candidate's posture, cleanliness, how steady their hands are. I'd rather have someone tell me that they are relatively new at it but eager to learn than someone who walks in assuming I'll be wowed with their brilliance, know what I mean?

There is nothing wrong with expressing how much you'd like the opportunity to work there and nothing wrong with bringing any certificates you have earned. If you aren't offered the job, don't be afraid to ask for some constructive criticism and don't get discouraged. The market is competitive. I'm very honest with people in the most encouraging way I can be. I didn't get every job I applied for either, but I appreciated hearing the areas where I fell short or where an employer was looking for more experience.

Just relax, do what you do and good luck to you!

redding86 Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 14

Thank you for replying. She had asked me to bring in pictures of some of my work which I honestly only had maybe 1 or 2 very modest beginner cake pictures. I didn't want to show up empty handed, so I went to my class instructor and she lent me a 'dummy cake' and I've been making butter cream all morning and yesterday I made up some royal icing flowers in hopes to throw maybe 2-3 cakes together to give her an idea about what I am capable of doing. I am by no means a professional but I will stress to her that I am a quick learner and this wouldn't be just a job for me, this is what I want to do for the rest of my life and I have a passion for it. My first cake came out pretty well! I will probably post pictures later.
Thank you again for the advice, I will be sure to use it! icon_smile.gif

redding86 Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 4:38pm
post #8 of 14

Wanted to let those know who commented on the post that I got the job. She said during the initial interview that I wouldn't hear back until next week but she called me only a few hours later and offered me the position! Thanks for all your advice icon_smile.gif I'm attaching a photo of one of the cakes I did icon_smile.gif
LL

Randysgirl777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Randysgirl777 Posted 10 Mar 2012 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 14

Congrats on getting the job thumbs_up.gif

SugarplumStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarplumStudio Posted 12 Mar 2012 , 11:56am
post #10 of 14

I was just checking in to see how it went! Congratulations! Good for you! Have fun with it!

NatalieC923 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieC923 Posted 13 Mar 2012 , 2:19am
post #11 of 14

Congratulations!! thumbs_up.gif

pieceofcake561 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceofcake561 Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 3:43am
post #12 of 14

Congratulations! I'm going hunting for my first bakery job tomorrow. I'm super nervous/excited!

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 8:07am
post #13 of 14

congrats on your dream job!

redding86 Posted 17 Apr 2012 , 3:04pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks everyone for your replies icon_smile.gif Had kinda forgotten about this post because I've been so busy icon_biggrin.gif Can't wait for wedding cake season!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%