Will Fondant Get Hard On My Cake?

Decorating By Artsygurl Updated 7 Mar 2012 , 5:29pm by Artsygurl

Artsygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Artsygurl Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 6:29am
post #1 of 5

I'm making my first wedding cake in fondant. I was wondering how long it's possible to keep a cake that's been covered in fondant sit out on the counter until the fondant becomes hard and unappetizing? How many days in advance do all of you cover your cakes? I know I won't have to worry this time since I'll be covering the cake on Friday and the wedding is Saturday, but I'd still like to know for future reference.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

4 replies
doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 6:46am
post #2 of 5

You know, I've always wondered this myself. I don't use fondant, I use Pastry Pride but I see the shows on TV where it takes them days to make a cake, yet when they cut into it, it looks soft. I'm curious now...

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 7:02am
post #3 of 5

I'll be the least experienced person to answer this question. But I do sell fondant covered cakes and wedding cakes and make all family wedding cakes.

When I was deciding on fondant brands, I tried them all. I made box mix cakes and covered them just to see how they each were different. Like every new ecorator, I would leave my creations on the counter, one time for a month.

Obviously the cake wasn't deteriorating. All of the cakes kept their moisture as edible over the week except the Wilton. The brand I chose also happened to stay soft the longest, Fondarifif/Duff's.

I only cover with fondant about 12 hours before the event because I have scratch cakes that many times have perishable fillings, but I do know the fondant lasts longer than the cake. I do box my tiers and cover with the large size plastic wrap, many time then to the refrigerator. No problems.

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 11:43am
post #4 of 5

Hi, I made my own wedding cake and covered each of the 3 tiers in fondant about 1 week before the wedding because I was also piping a lace pattern on the fondant in RI. The cakes were fruit cakes which obviously keep longer than other types of cake - but the fondant was fine, it does harden off a little but not like RI. HTH icon_smile.gif

Artsygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Artsygurl Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks guys thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%