Hello Kitty 3D Cake Advice Please

Decorating By DivaJai Updated 8 Mar 2012 , 6:32am by DivaJai

DivaJai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivaJai Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 8:46am
post #1 of 4

Let me start by saying I am not a pro at cake decorating just yet but when given a challenge I step up to the plate and do my best. That all being said my friend has asked me to do a cake similar to the one in the link
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1234733/hello-kitty for her daughter's 3rd birthday in April. A few concerns or questions... 1. What can I use besides fondant or frosting to get a smooth finish on the head of hello kitty easily? 2. Judging the structure of the cake what would be the best method for dowling? 3. Does anyone know of a good white cake recipe to get a good taste and structure but isn't too dense? I really want to get this right because it means so much to my friend's daughter. If I fail she'll end up getting a grocery store cake icon_sad.gif Thanks for any tips on how you would approach doing this cake. icon_smile.gif

3 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 4

Hi,

You can ice yr circle cake with chocolate ganache, it gives a nice smooth surface but also dries kind of hard but taste gooood!!!! Then you can cover it in fondant for the finish. This method also adds weight to your cake as well. You can use a large center dowel screwed into yr baseboard and slide your cake down over it and create yr masterpiece icon_smile.gif Be sure to place a couple of cakeboard rounds cut and shaped just a little small (so it wont show) to your kitty's head to help supoort the wieght. And to keep from crushing the cakes below.

You could use the 3D cake recipe in the gallery/WASC recipe it is dense enough for carving BUT MOIST!! it taste goood too.

PS: I'm not sure if the person who made this cake did this but it looks like the body of the cake is shaped like Wilton's Wonder Mold Cake Pan. I could be wrong. They could hv just as well carved it into this shape.

HTH

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Mar 2012 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 4
DivaJai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivaJai Posted 8 Mar 2012 , 6:32am
post #4 of 4

icon_biggrin.gif Thank you both so much for the advice! I think the body is the wondermold pan too. If all goes well I will post pics in my gallery icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%