First Wedding Cake

Decorating By SweetSlice13 Updated 6 Mar 2012 , 1:43pm by matthewkyrankelly

SweetSlice13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSlice13 Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 7:15am
post #1 of 4

Hi guys,

This is going to be my first ever wedding cake. Usually I would make one cake for each tier, then slice each cake in three and fill with buttercream then restack. The tiers in this cake look a lot taller though so I'm not sure I would get enough height my way.

Any advice would be appreciated!!
LL

3 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 12:03pm
post #2 of 4

A standard serving is 4" high. If you are going to do any taller than that, make sure you use supports at every 4" of cake.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 4

I generally make 2 layers for each tier, and separate them with a layer of filling or frosting. But you could make 2 layers, split each one, then put in 3 layers of filling/frosting.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 4

The standard is a 4" high cake. For most people that involves two layers for each tier. That said, the more you torte it, the more wonderful fillings and flavors you can get in the cake! Also, many people think, and I agree, that for a wedding, all of those layers of filling and cake look nice.The extra filling can also boost you solidly above the 4" mark, giving the cake a nice height for presentation.

Also, two layers bake faster than one really thick layer. So unless you have a design reason or a special request, shoot for a 4" high tier, torted as many times as practical.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%