Need Help With Covering A Cake With Fondant

Decorating By Tiffo314 Updated 6 Mar 2012 , 5:10am by Tiffo314

Tiffo314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffo314 Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 2:31am
post #1 of 5

Whats the best frosting to use when you want to cover a cake with fondant and have it stick and look tight and not sloppy?

Ive tried with buttercream but it was kind of not steady I'm thinking maybe I put too much but I'm just wondering if there's a better frosting to use icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
abchambers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abchambers Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 2:49am
post #2 of 5

I always use BC and it usually doesn't give me problems. The trick is to let it firm up before you cover it. Try sticking it in the freezer for 10-15 minutes and take it out right before you cover it.

CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 2:52am
post #3 of 5

Sometimes having too much frosting on is the problem. I use a crusting butter cream. 1 cup butter, 1 cup shortening, 2 tsp vanilla, 2 lbs powdered sugar and 4 TBS 2% milk.

Also, after I have frosted it (maybe an 1/8 of an inch thick- no thicker really) I put my cake in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes. This makes the butter in the frosting harden up and gives the cake the firmness you need to put on your fondant.

After you remove it from the freezer, brush on a little piping gel, to get it tacky (after being in the freezer it will be dry and the fondant will not stick). Then roll out fondant and apply.

There are lots of good videos on You Tube to watch as well to see technique of putting it on. Hope that helps!

CakeItGood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 4:13am
post #4 of 5

A thin layer of BC, then fridging it until buttercream is firm ..... this really helps! You can also very lightly mist the cake with clear vanilla to help the fondant stick, I have found that trick to work well (but it may or may not be the "right" way, lol!).

Do you have fondant smoothers? Works much better than hands for a finished look. Don't over smooth or push too hard though.

Check out some youtube videos and see what method works best for you!

Tiffo314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffo314 Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 5:10am
post #5 of 5

Thank you everyone these tips were very helpful I am making a birthday cake tomorrow for my daughter and I want to use fondant but I want it to come out just right, and I do have a fondant smoother

I will use these tips and hopefully everything comes out good
thank you very much

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%