Italian Rum Cake

Baking By Linda2896 Updated 17 May 2012 , 11:46pm by BakingIrene

Linda2896 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linda2896 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 7

Does anyone have a recipe for Italian rum cake?

6 replies
gbbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 7

Are you looking for a sponge cake with cannoli filling or with pastry cream?

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 7

I've used this recipe:
http://www.food.com/recipe/italian-rum-cake-65363

It is a complicated recipe to make.....so many steps!

I ended up making it and determining it wouldn't work under the giant fondant cake I was making for a huge yankee stadium cake. So I adapted it by using a sponge cake recipe, chocolate SMBC and vanilla SMBC (instead of the custards). And I didn't water down my rum- I didn't think it was strong enough, so I just used straight rum with a little sugar.

If you're going for an authentic rum cake though, then this recipe will do....but the cake is too light for stacking and fondant.

janicedale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janicedale Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 8:04am
post #4 of 7

Italian rum cake?? I wanna try this too since I didn't know this recipe but I will help you too since you are interesting for this so that we can share each others recipe. Would that be okay? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Linda2896 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linda2896 Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 7

Janicedale that's fine.

Debbye27 thanks for the recipe. I will try that one. I wanted to stack the cakes so it will need to be strong enough enough to hold the tiers. However, the traditional recipe will be great for a regular layer cake.

Gbbaker, I'm not sure which filling is in the traditional rum cakes....I'm assuming it's custard.

socosweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
socosweets Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 7

traditonally in my family we use a cannoli filling and its covered in a whipped cream usually with toasted shaved almonds on the outside of the cake

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 17 May 2012 , 11:46pm
post #7 of 7

To make this cake stackable, use ganache filling. Sprinkle generously with dark rum straight from the bottle. Chill it overnight after stacking and before carving.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%