Working With Fondant

Decorating By Linda2896 Updated 6 Mar 2012 , 1:12pm by Linda2896

Linda2896 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linda2896 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 7

What do you use to roll out fondant? Shortening? Powdered sugar? I used shortening so it doesn't stick and it get so greasy...I've tried powdered sugar and maybe wasn't using enough and what sticking a lot and wouldn't work.

Also I find that my Fondant looks cracky sometimes. How do I avoid that?

6 replies
Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 7

I use shortening, too. I roll it out on a vinyl mat and I find it works like a charm every time...I also warm up my fondant and knead a little bit of shortening into it before I roll it out.
I make my own MMF, are you using commercial fondant or MMF?

kimma1299 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimma1299 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 7

I like to use parchment paper, but I know others like to use "the mat" (it is a silicon matt) Also, when you are needing your fondant, use shortning to help with the cracking and store with a thin coat on the fondant before you wrap it.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 7

I use shortening on a blue silicone mat. I also sometimes use shortening on my Wilton Roll & Cut mat if I will need to cut shapes from it (never cut on the silicone mat).

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 4:32am
post #5 of 7

I tightly tape heavy cotton fabric to my table and dust liberally with powdered sugar. I rub the sugar into the fabric and then dust lightly for rolling. I do make sure that I have thoroughly kneaded the fondant until it is very smooth. I have warm hands so the fondant gets a bit warm as well. If you can see the fabric, dust it again with powdered sugar using a sifter.

I learned this from my mom who rolled out her biscuit dough and pies crusts on fabric dusted with flour. After 16 years, it's still my favorite technique.

After it's rolled, I use my longest roller (such as a PVC pipe) and gently roll the fondant around it. I work from the back to the front, unrolling as I go. This ensures that I get the fondant to fit well on the cake with no empty spots at the base of the cake.

HTH

Michele

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 4:48am
post #6 of 7

I use corn starch on my ateco fondant mat. A little bit goes a long way. Powdered sugar makes everything sticky and shortening is a mess.

Linda2896 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linda2896 Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 1:12pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all the comments. Some great ideas.
I too make my own mmf.

I will have to try some of these. I have ordered the Mat, so we will see how that works.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%