Smash Cake

Business By jena2727 Updated 6 Mar 2012 , 2:34pm by jgifford

jena2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jena2727 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 12:52pm
post #1 of 15

Good Morning!!

I would like to contact some local photographers about smash cakes for first birthday photo shoots. What size do you use for a smash cake, do you price it at your regular serving prices? Do you give it free if they book their birthday cake as well? I need some help/suggestions before I make my presentation to them!!

Thanks for any help!

14 replies
Heather_bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather_bakes Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 12:47am
post #2 of 15

I am just starting to offer smash cakes. I am offering a 4" round or a large cupcake shaped cake of the same size free with the purchase of a first birthday cake.
I don't offer just a smash cake.

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 2:43am
post #3 of 15

I'm in So Cal. I start smash cakes at $25 and free with an additional larger fondant cake order. Usually I don't charge more than $30. I do a 6" round that ends up being about 2" tall

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 2:46am
post #4 of 15

I do a single layer (2" high) 4" round cake, buttercream iced simply decorated in the same cake flavor as the larger cake for free with any 1st Birthday cake. If they want something larger or with more elaborate decor then I charge them.

NatalieC923 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieC923 Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 2:47am
post #5 of 15

I offer a smash cake free with the purchase of a larger birthday cake. I use a 4" round, in buttercream only -- although I usually put some matching fondant decorations to make it look like it goes with the larger cake. I don't sell just smash cakes currently -- I've never had anyone ask.

Natalie

BlueRose8302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueRose8302 Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 2:57am
post #6 of 15

I usually throw in the smash cake for free with the larger cake. Usually just yellow cake...sometimes chocolate--all buttercream--no fondant at all. I know that the kid could probably handle it, but I like to stick to all buttercream for the smash cake. Mine are 6 inches, 2 layers. I have only made 1 cake just for photo shoot but I was able to deliver it with the other smash cake and larger birthday cake since the pictures were taken the next day.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 3:16am
post #7 of 15

I charge $12 for a 4" round smash cake in the same flavor as the main cake. Buttercream only. I hate icing those tiny things & wouldn't offer them at all without a main cake order.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 8:38am
post #8 of 15

Mine is 6", $15.00, but must be purchased with another cake.

A 6" cake on its own is too small to turn on the oven. I do have gourmet cakes this size, but they are $29.00 to $34.00. Then the delivery is added to that.

jena2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jena2727 Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 12:37pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks everyone!! I know someone that has a business in the next town over and she provides the GIANT cupcakes for 1st birthday shoots quite often. I know her normal price for those is $45 and just couldn't imagine anyone paying that much for a cake to rip apart for pictures! Guess I'll have to message her and see what she charges locally.

I bake from home so turning on the oven is not a big deal at all and would probably be on in the evening anyway.

ickworthpark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ickworthpark Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 1:08pm
post #10 of 15

What exactly is a smash cake? Is it a small cake you give to a young child to 'play' with? Why not just give then a slice of the main cake?

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 1:20pm
post #11 of 15

1st birthday shoots? Good grief.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 2:06pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

^^^^ icon_lol.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 2:13pm
post #13 of 15

People who want to be in business need to be careful of the mindset of spending other people's money. Sometimes people think that something is not a good deal or is too expensive because it doesn't fit into their personal budget. There are many different income levels. It's best to look at trends and let consumers spend their own money. If you can offer something that is common in a specific income level, it will only benefit your business to add the item if you have that range of clientele.

Smash cakes are something that parents do buy quite often. Parents also spend upwards of $500.00 and more in one sitting for a child's portrait. A cake costing $45.00 is rather inconsequential in the overall price. The outfit could have been over $100.00.

Look at the first birthday cakes that some artists create. They can be higher than a wedding cake.

ANDaniels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANDaniels Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 2:17pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Annie, I agree. I have been contacted to do several and it really surprises me! My 2 yr old did not have one and neither will my 9 month old!

As for what I make/ charge I make a 2 layer 6 in buttercream, free if the bday cake is over a certain price but if they just want the smash cake its 20 for simple decorations more for elaborate stuff.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 6 Mar 2012 , 2:34pm
post #15 of 15

I understand the mindset and the motivation behind smash cakes. In fact I think it's a good idea to limit the amount of mess the birthday child makes. And I don't have a problem charging $30 for a 4" cake. Doesn't mean I don't wonder about some people's priorities.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%