Sticky/too Moist Cupcake

Baking By clew Updated 5 Mar 2012 , 9:57am by scp1127

clew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clew Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 6:36am
post #1 of 4

Hi,,

i have tried searching for a solution or reason to my problem in the site, but have not found any yet.

the problem is that my cupcakes turns out kinda sticky/gooey while eaten, almost like eating peanut butter (but not that sticky tho... =p) its kinda stick to your teeth. some people fine with that, but other not so..

i did read about stickiness on cupcake tops, but its not really the problem.

is it because they are too moist? or still under cooked? (always poked them with toothpicks n came out clean); or is it the oven temperature? (i'm using an old oven at about ±180Cº according to the oven's dial marking)

i am using Wilton's vanilla cupcake recipe http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Vanilla-Cupcakes have anyone tried the recipe, and have the same problem?

can someone give me some pointers or a better recipe? thanks!! =D

3 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 6:51am
post #2 of 4

It sounds like your oven temp is off. You can get an independent thermometer to correct that.

BUT... if the oven is having too far of a swing in temp, you can't fix it. This will be hard to detect on a spring thermometer, but you just have to watch. Ideally, your oven will cut on and off close to the set time. For example, at 350, it cuts on at 335 and off at 365. But if it cuts on at 320 and off at 380, the temp usually stays too cool. If you see a variance of 10 degrees in your spring thermometer, it may be an indicator of the problem because these styles usually move so slowly that you will not detect a change in a correctly working oven.

So it is probably not your baking skills. It will mess up every baking project you attempt. Conversely, on a chicken, that swing is not detected because you are going for internal temp.

clew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clew Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 8:36am
post #3 of 4

thanks for the input..

i guess i need a new oven >_<; well it's almost as old as me haha

anyway ill try getting the thermometer n see how it bakes out..

thanks~

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 9:57am
post #4 of 4

I have 7 ovens... three double KA's and one used I got while we remodeled my kitchen. We hooked it up in the mud room. When I started the bakery, I had it wired for that oven too. That $100.00 oven is incredible. No hot spots and exactly calibreated. It outcooks my 6 KA's.

But the chances of getting an oven like this are slim and none. I just got lucky. You can take your $5.00 thermometer to some used appliance stores and most likely get something much better than the one you have, for about $100.00. I did get self-cleaning. I'm not cleaning any oven at any price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%